CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Care Instructions for knitted items (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=106215)

DA[_3_] November 25th 09 04:08 PM

Care Instructions for knitted items

Does anyone else put in a ball band from the yarn used to knit the item when
it is a gift? I have found this is much easier than attaching a tag with
care instructions.

DA

Olwyn.Mary November 25th 09 06:17 PM

DA wrote:
Does anyone else put in a ball band from the yarn used to knit the item
when it is a gift? I have found this is much easier than attaching a
tag with care instructions.

DA

My family (on both sides) has done this for generations. Not only do we
include the label for the yarn, we also include any leftover - even if
it is an entire ball - so that if repairs are needed in future, matching
yarn is at hand. I once found this invaluable when my dh managed to
tear a hole in a sweater knit by his cousin. I was able to make a
perfect repair.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Cece December 16th 09 07:27 PM

On Nov 25, 12:17*pm, "Olwyn.Mary" wrote:
DA wrote:
Does anyone else put in a ball band from the yarn used to knit the item
when it is a gift? *I have found this is much easier than attaching a
tag with care instructions.

DA

My family (on both sides) has done this for generations. *Not only do we
include the label for the yarn, we also include any leftover - even if
it is an entire ball - so that if repairs are needed in future, matching
yarn is at hand. *I once found this invaluable when my dh managed to
tear a hole in a sweater knit by his cousin. *I was able to make a
perfect repair.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I attach a short length of the yarn to the ball band (two holes in the
band and secure the yarn with a lark's head knot) right above the
laundry instructions. Or, if the garment is big enough, I sew in a
fabric label with the laundry instructions. I have a supply gotten
from one of those personalized-label suppliers; I sent them text for
the otherwise-blank labels.