CraftBanter

-   General Crafting (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Acrylic Gel Medium (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=15578)

Anne Higham October 23rd 03 12:03 PM

Acrylic Gel Medium

Anyone know if there's a cheaper alternative or substitute for Acrylic Gel
Medium? Here in the UK it's a bit pricey!
Thanks
Anne H.

paula October 23rd 03 09:15 PM

"do you mean a medium that helps paint to flow, i.e. when doing
decorative paint strokes? i bought a 2oz bottle from my local craft
shop and i think it only cost me £1.99.shop around and i am sure you
will find some as there are lots of brands about.

Babs Boone October 23rd 03 11:26 PM

In article , says...

Anyone know if there's a cheaper alternative or substitute for Acrylic Gel
Medium? Here in the UK it's a bit pricey!
Thanks
Anne H.

Any answer would have to consider what
it is you're using it for. You didn't say.

If you're buying "artist" supplies you're
usually going to pay "artist" (meaning
"at a premium") prices for it, compared
to buying a commercial or
household version of the same product.

Anne Higham October 23rd 03 11:51 PM

paula wrote in message .. .
"do you mean a medium that helps paint to flow, i.e. when doing
decorative paint strokes?

Not sure but I don't think that's it.
What I'm looking for is a substance that takes pigments or acrylic colours, and
leaves definite marks and peaks on the surface. It's milky when wet, but is
transparent when dry. Liquitex make several types of Gel Mediums - these dry
transparent with a matt or shiney finish.

Other Liquitex Gel Mediums have material suspended in the Gel i.e. fibres, glass
beads,sand etc. Always keen to save a penny or two, I was interested to see if
anyone had found a substitute for the basic Gel.... either matt or shiney
finish.

Anne H.

Anne Higham October 24th 03 10:51 AM

Babs Boone wrote in message ...
In article , says...

Anyone know if there's a cheaper alternative or substitute for Acrylic Gel
Medium? Here in the UK it's a bit pricey!
Thanks
Anne H.

Any answer would have to consider what
it is you're using it for. You didn't say.

Hi Babs - it'll be used for creating textured coloured papers and, perhaps, on
material or wood. So it doesn't need to be "artist" quality.

I've experimented with plasters and pastes etc, but wanted to get a transparent
or translucent finish this time.

I'll probably use quite a lot so I don't want to splash out on the commercial
Gels if there's a cheaper substitute!

Anne H.

Babs Boone October 24th 03 02:21 PM

In article , says...

I'll probably use quite a lot so I don't want to splash out on the commercial
Gels if there's a cheaper substitute!

Anne H.

When I lived in the UK many years ago, I found
it hard to find outlets for various products
like I was accustomed to in the USA. So I don't
know what's available to you as "commercial"
products and what's not. When I say "commercial"
I'm referring to products available through
builder supplies, hardware stores, paint stores
and the like as opposed to artist suppliers.

For use as "glue" or for heavy impasto effects,
you might try ordinary PVA glue. Or mucilage type glues.
Both will dry "relatively" clear. In the USA a
very popular "white glue" that dries clear is
ELMER'S brand. There are many other brands similar.

I know you "can" mix acrylic colors with other
water based clear resins - and PVA will mix. But
the wisdom of using cheap substitutes would be
my question if this is work you have any pride
in, and especially if you plan to sell it. My
personal belief is that penny pinching constitutes
a serious constraint on one's creative drive.
My admonition to beginning art students is to
buy quality rather than quantity. ie; One or two
expensive watercolor brushes will do more for
your efforts than a can full of cheap substitutes.

Anne Higham October 25th 03 02:13 PM

In article , says...

From: Babs Boone

the wisdom of using cheap substitutes would be
my question if this is work you have any pride
in, and especially if you plan to sell it. My
personal belief is that penny pinching constitutes
a serious constraint on one's creative drive.
My admonition to beginning art students is to
buy quality rather than quantity. ie; One or two
expensive watercolor brushes will do more for
your efforts than a can full of cheap substitutes.

Babs ~ many thanks for the suggestions about possible substitutes... that's
really useful.

I agree, in principle, with your recommendation about buying and using quality
products (rather than quantity).

However, this raises an interesting dilemma as it pre-supposes that there's a
choice involved. There have been times in my life when *any* commercial product
was financially out of my reach. It was not a case of "penny pinching" ~ it was
a case of choosing between craft items or household bills. It was then that I
satisfied my creative side by using products and materials already in my
home..... and it was fun!

I'm now in the happy position of being able to occasionally buy, when necessary,
some of the commercial products/materials. Thus my question asking about
possible substitutes for Acrylic Gel Medium - if there's a cheaper acceptable
alternative I'll use it. If not, I'll buy the recognised commercial product.
Old habits die hard!!

Anne H.

Liz October 25th 03 05:09 PM

In article , says...

From: Babs Boone

[...]

Anne, have you tried Elmer's glue or Mod Podge? Elmer's might need to
be diluted a bit. They both dry clear. Just a thought.

Liz

Anne Higham October 25th 03 07:45 PM

Liz wrote in message ...
On 10/25/2003 09:13 AM, Anne Higham wrote:
In article , says...

I'll probably use quite a lot so I don't want to splash out on the

commercial
Gels if there's a cheaper substitute!
Anne H.

Anne, have you tried Elmer's glue or Mod Podge? Elmer's might need to
be diluted a bit. They both dry clear. Just a thought.
Liz

Liz - I don't know if Elmer's is available in the UK but I've seen Mod Podge.
Thanks for these suggestions.
Anne H.

Liz October 26th 03 06:07 AM

On 10/25/2003 02:45 PM, Anne Higham wrote:
Liz wrote in message ...
On 10/25/2003 09:13 AM, Anne Higham wrote:
In article , says...

I'll probably use quite a lot so I don't want to splash out on the

commercial
Gels if there's a cheaper substitute!
Anne H.

Anne, have you tried Elmer's glue or Mod Podge? Elmer's might need to
be diluted a bit. They both dry clear. Just a thought.
Liz

Liz - I don't know if Elmer's is available in the UK but I've seen Mod Podge.
Thanks for these suggestions.
Anne H.

Sorry about that, Anne--I forgot you're in the UK. Elmer's is a white
glue that dries clear, is non-toxic and used in primary schools. I
looked on Google for a UK substitute and found Pritt Childsplay White
Craft Glue. It was a little less than two pounds. Hope it works for you. :-)

Liz