CraftBanter

-   -   Thread Questions for 1st attempt at Machine Quilting (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29393)

Quil January 15th 04 02:35 PM

Thread Questions for 1st attempt at Machine Quilting

I bought some YLI brand nylon smoke thread to do the quilting on this first
small project I am doing. I can put this nylon thread in the bobbin as well
as the top thread spool, right? I heard something about nylon thread
stretching, breaking, melting if you load the bobbin too fast. Is the
correct or crazy?
Wish me luck.
Cyndi

Polly Esther January 15th 04 03:11 PM

No doubt about it. I am crazy and in some very fine company. I run all of my
bobbins slowly. I imagine the thread goes on just a little looser. Don't
know about melting but I'll bet it could be done. Polly

Roberta Zollner January 15th 04 06:54 PM

You can put it in the bobbin if you really want to, but most of the machine
quilting gurus recommend using normal cotton in the bobbin.
My very first attempt at machine quilting, without reading the books, I used
nylon downstairs. Nearly went bonkers winding lots of bobbins -it's slippery
stuff. And afterwards, I didn't really like the look of it against the
backing. (I do use it all the time on top -sometimes the quilt just needs
invisible thread.) But I can't say it made any problems as such. The quilt
is still perfectly OK after several years of use.
Roberta in D

Don/Gen January 15th 04 07:07 PM

I use it often. It's correct about winding slowly. Too fast and it may
split the bobbin (if you have plastic ones). It also stretches, so wind
slowly and you should be fine I find n it best not to fill the bobbin
completely.
Gen

Helen in MN January 15th 04 08:18 PM

My bobbin winder is on the top of my machine, so when I fill the bobbin with
the nylon thread, I hold on to it as it fills the bobbin- anytime I let go
it messes up. But it doesn't take that long to do and I haven't had any
trouble with it. Other than trying to thread the $%#@ needle

Helen in MN

Pati Cook January 15th 04 10:34 PM

You can put the nylon thread in the bobbin, but wind the bobbin slowly and at a
slow speed. Generally I just use thread that matched the backing in the bobbin
and it works well.
Also remember to loosen your top tension when you use the nylon thread.

Pati, in Phx

surfingsylvia January 16th 04 12:04 AM

Libby Lehman suggested using YLI lingerie thread in the bobbin. It is very
fine and a full bobbin will last for a very long time. It comes in white
and black and really does work well with the invisible thread.
Good luck.