CraftBanter

-   Glass (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   forming a large diameter tube (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=103289)

Permafacture June 8th 09 08:09 AM

forming a large diameter tube

I was thinking about how to slump a large diameter tube from a flat
plane of glass. I have little experience with glass working and dont
know to what degree this is workable...

You'd take a piece of float glass, from like a window and slump it
over a ceramic tube you made/found as a form. Put it in the kiln and
let it soften and after its really gooy pull it out for a second and
use poles to roll the hanging edges together. The maybe flip it so
the seam is on top and put it back in the kiln.

?

Is this at all how you would form a large diameter tube from found
resources?
What size kiln do glass workers usually have; what is the widest sheet
i might be able to work?
can it be anealed in the same kiln it was slumped in?

thanks!

charlie June 8th 09 06:19 PM

"Permafacture" wrote in message
I was thinking about how to slump a large diameter tube from a flat
plane of glass. I have little experience with glass working and dont
know to what degree this is workable...

You'd take a piece of float glass, from like a window and slump it
over a ceramic tube you made/found as a form. Put it in the kiln and
let it soften and after its really gooy pull it out for a second and
use poles to roll the hanging edges together. The maybe flip it so
the seam is on top and put it back in the kiln.

?

Is this at all how you would form a large diameter tube from found
resources?
What size kiln do glass workers usually have; what is the widest sheet
i might be able to work?
can it be anealed in the same kiln it was slumped in?

thanks!

kiln workers wouldn't do this. tubes are blown out in a glory hole. you can
take a flat piece, heat it in a glory hole, and use the technique called
'roll-up' to make it into a tube, but again, that would require blowing
experience.

David Billington June 8th 09 09:58 PM

Permafacture wrote:
I was thinking about how to slump a large diameter tube from a flat
plane of glass. I have little experience with glass working and dont
know to what degree this is workable...

You'd take a piece of float glass, from like a window and slump it
over a ceramic tube you made/found as a form. Put it in the kiln and
let it soften and after its really gooy pull it out for a second and
use poles to roll the hanging edges together. The maybe flip it so
the seam is on top and put it back in the kiln.

?

Is this at all how you would form a large diameter tube from found
resources?
What size kiln do glass workers usually have; what is the widest sheet
i might be able to work?
can it be anealed in the same kiln it was slumped in?

thanks!

I'm no expert but I have seen pictures of large tube shaped parts
slumped from flat. The parts had a length maybe 5 times, from memory,
greater than the diameter, so what you require may be possible without
the roll up technique. The roll up sounds like the reverse of the old
tcchnique for producing flat glass where a cylinder was blown and split
an unrolled to form a flat sheet.

nJb[_4_] June 11th 09 07:12 AM

forming a large diameter tube

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 00:09:38 -0700 (PDT), Permafacture
wrote:

I was thinking about how to slump a large diameter tube from a flat
plane of glass. I have little experience with glass working and dont
know to what degree this is workable...

You'd take a piece of float glass, from like a window and slump it
over a ceramic tube you made/found as a form. Put it in the kiln and
let it soften and after its really gooy pull it out for a second and
use poles to roll the hanging edges together. The maybe flip it so
the seam is on top and put it back in the kiln.

Good luck. With a lot of practice you might pull it off. Most likely
you will wind up with a big mess and some burns.

?

Is this at all how you would form a large diameter tube from found
resources?

No, I would either blow it (not likely to be called a tube), have it
blown, or buy it from a lab glass manufacturer.

What size kiln do glass workers usually have; what is the widest sheet
i might be able to work?

I have a 3x5' and a 4x8' but I wouldn't even try to slump a tube.

can it be anealed in the same kiln it was slumped in?

Yes.

Jack

thanks!

Lauri Levanto June 11th 09 09:51 AM

wrote:

[...]

thanks!http://www.lambertsglas.de/

The link below

http://www.lambertsglas.de/
has a video how big tubes are made.

Slumping over ceramics: The glass contracts more than ceramics while
cooling,
so it will break or at least press itself permanently around the ceramics.
Steel tube with a separator is better.

-lauri

Permafacture June 13th 09 05:26 AM

forming a large diameter tube