CraftBanter

-   Sewing (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   what is Foamcore (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=37342)

maureen dehnel November 27th 03 11:07 AM

what is Foamcore

Does anyone know what is 'Foamcore,' mentioned in a Vogue pattern. I have
asked several shops here in Perth WA, Do you know a like product, Cheers

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply November 27th 03 01:40 PM

From: "maureen dehnel"

Does anyone know what is 'Foamcore,' mentioned in a Vogue pattern. .......

Foamcore is a stiff mounting and craft board made of two layers of a very
stiff paper board with a bit of foam between. It comes in various widths (1/4"
& 1/8" being the most common here) and is used a lot for mounting needlework
because you can pull the fabric really tight and then pin into that foam core
to hold the needlework in place. It is inexpensive, VERY easy to cut with a
craft knife and can be used to make all sorts of boxes and things like that. I
have made some fabric boxes and purses and use the foam core to keep everything
nice and "stiff" and in place.
You might ask for it in craft shops or maybe even some sort of home repair
supply type center. It comes in sheets about the size of regular poster board
that you buy for a child's school project and is usually in the same area of
the store -- at least here on this side of the pond :-))! Good Luck finding it
& CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Larry Green November 27th 03 07:04 PM

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...
From: "maureen dehnel"

[...]

.

You could also try an art or photographers supply outlet. Foamcore is used
as a backing to mount art works and photographs too. Do you have a local
College or University with an arts supply shop on the campus? They often
stock foamcore that they sell to the students for project work.

Larry

Valkyrie November 27th 03 07:31 PM

I sure do hope foamcore is the same kind of stuff in Western Australia as it
is in North America.......maybe if we had the Vogue pattern number we could
make sure that we do not have a "failure to communicate".

Val

Larry Green November 27th 03 09:57 PM

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
I sure do hope foamcore is the same kind of stuff in Western Australia as

it
is in North America.......maybe if we had the Vogue pattern number we

could
make sure that we do not have a "failure to communicate".

Val

Good point, but I do know that 'foamcore' in North America is the same stuff
as 'foamcore' in the UK as we used to sell it from the College art shop when
I worked as a Lecturer at a College in England (before emigrating to
Canada). There is a good chance that Australian 'foamcore' is the same too,
however, an indication of the pattern number and the exact use for said
material would help establish that fact. Just how you would use 'foamcore'
in a Vogue pattern has me intrigued to say the least ;-)

Maybe you glue the pattern to it so that you can stand it in the corner when
you are done with it! [1]

Larry

[1] Just teasing......don't start a flame war.......LOL.

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply November 28th 03 06:00 AM

From: "Larry Green"
Date: 11/27/2003 4:57 PM Eastern

..... Just how you would use 'foamcore'
in a Vogue pattern has me intrigued to say the least ;-) ........

I wondered the same thing and then remembered the cute little boxes and
handbags I made from patterns -- simplicity I think, not Vogue. The directions
called for using several layers of cardboard (back before foamcore) so I
thought that was probably something like what the original poster needed it
for. I'm interested to know what she want's it for too ;-)). CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

Tee November 28th 03 06:44 AM

Any framer, frame gallery, etc. will sell it as well. The frame gallery I
do books for sells alot of foamcore (aka foam board) to walk-in customers.

--
Tara

Liz November 30th 03 08:40 AM

I'm in Australia (the opposite side from Perth though :-)) and I used this
material for making architectural models at university. I'm pretty sure it
was called foamcore here too.
I used to buy it at art supplies shops.
Liz

maureen dehnel December 4th 03 09:21 AM

Foamcore, I found it, Many thanks to all. I did find it eventually in a
Drawing Supplies place, and to those interested, it is Vogue pattern no.
7253. It is the back wall and part of two side walls of a dolls house, just
like a backdrop in the theatre. So gold stars to Larry for his "glue" and
"stand it" suggestion. However, it is the fabric that you glue to the
Foamcore.