CraftBanter

-   Polymer Clay (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Toy Time (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=85376)

Dicon[_2_] July 11th 07 09:33 PM

Toy Time

At a local Charity shop, ( Thrift Shop ) I found a large red plastic "Ready
Steady Cook" Childs toy oven. It gives instructions how to make small cakes
( cup cakes ) using the rather toy looking red plastic oven instructions. I
bought it four pounds. Which is VERY cheap. It works very well so far, as I
am only interested in small objects for jewellery.
It runs off a twelve volts giant transformer and the main heat source is a
small car headlight. Apart from the lighting up the oven and the room , it
turns into a RED glowing object de arty thing, very art gallery
instillation.
But.
IT WORKS!!
Yay.
ahem
It looks so weird lit up I may send a picture.
And as soon as I finish some commissions, I will try again to get some
jewellery out that is not liable to snap on the slightest accidental bump.

--
Jackdaw, collector of facts, trivia and bright twinkly things
to get me remove removethisbit.

Barbara Forbes-Lyons July 12th 07 01:52 AM

Toy Time

What's the baking temp?

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Habitué

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com
http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Dicon[_2_] July 12th 07 08:04 AM

Toy Time

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in message
What's the baking temp?

Barbara

To be honest I cannot tell. The inner chamber which is over the light is so
small, my "stand up" oven thermometer won't fit inside the small drop down
compartment, inside the oven. It does really cook little cup cakes ( two at
a time ) so there is some heat there. Also the door has a safety lock, so
the door won't open until the heat has dropped. There is a little green
light on the front that goes on when the door can be opened, this prevents
children burning their fingers. I guess the best bet is to find at what
temperature do two cup-cakes take to cook.
I left my test piece in for half an hour ( I put it in and forgot all about
it ) but it seems to do the job.
Fun though and cheap. As it's twelve volts it could be run off a car battery
for holiday modelling on the move.

Sarajane Helm July 18th 07 03:57 PM

Toy Time

We have something similaar here, called a Suzie Homemaker or EZBake Oven,
cooks with a lightbulb and you make little round cakes, etc. Was the delight
of my life for several months as a child.....but cakes bake around 350
degrees F which is too hot for clay, (it needs to be more like 270-300F
tops) so I would definately invest in a small oven thermometer, lay it flat
in the pan, and test.

If nothing else, you got a cool objet d'art, like you said!!

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art

See the progress at "Pieces"