CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   salvaging some crewel - need an idea, plz (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=139706)

[email protected] October 5th 15 01:22 AM

salvaging some crewel - need an idea, plz

the crewelwork is fine, but the backing of the pillow has simply worn away* - large holes in fact. I figure I can cut around the design, but then what? Applique it onto a new pillow? some of the fabric is shot almost near the design.

It's that old Elsa Williams of a male and female pheasant, if anyone recalls that one. I hate to just chuck it.

*blame it on a man who used it as a real pillow - ha.

Shirley October 5th 15 10:00 AM

On 05/10/2015 01:22, wrote:
the crewelwork is fine, but the backing of the pillow has simply worn away* - large holes in fact.

I figure I can cut around the design, but then what? Applique it onto
a new pillow? some of the fabric is

shot almost near the design.

It's that old Elsa Williams of a male and female pheasant, if anyone recalls that one.

I hate to just chuck it.

*blame it on a man who used it as a real pillow - ha.

I would stabilise the whole piece with putting a iron on interfacing on
the back before cutting it. Do you have a serger that you can make a
fine edging all around the design. I would sew it on to a contrast
fabric near the edge of the over-locking (serging).
I would then frame it and make a picture.
Just my thoughts.

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk

[email protected] October 7th 15 04:45 PM

On Monday, October 5, 2015 at 5:00:33 AM UTC-4, Shirley wrote:
On 05/10/2015 01:22, wrote:
the crewelwork is fine, but the backing of the pillow has simply worn away* - large holes in fact.

I figure I can cut around the design, but then what? Applique it onto
a new pillow? some of the fabric is

shot almost near the design.

It's that old Elsa Williams of a male and female pheasant, if anyone recalls that one.

I hate to just chuck it.

*blame it on a man who used it as a real pillow - ha.

I would stabilise the whole piece with putting a iron on interfacing on
the back before cutting it. Do you have a serger that you can make a
fine edging all around the design. I would sew it on to a contrast
fabric near the edge of the over-locking (serging).
I would then frame it and make a picture.
Just my thoughts.

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk

I have a friend with a serger - good idea. Thanks. Hadn't thought of that.

Looks like this group is moribund - there used to be some interesting threads here. What happened?

Joan Erickson October 7th 15 07:54 PM

On 10/7/2015 10:45 AM, wrote:

Looks like this group is moribund - there used to be some interesting threads here. What happened?

One word: Facebook. :(

There are still some of us hanging on for dear life, though, so stick
around! :)

--
Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Rich[_3_] October 10th 15 01:59 PM

salvaging some crewel - need an idea, plz

On Wed, 07 Oct 2015 13:54:57 -0500, Joan Erickson
wrote:

On 10/7/2015 10:45 AM, wrote:

Looks like this group is moribund - there used to be some interesting threads here. What happened?

One word: Facebook. :(

There are still some of us hanging on for dear life, though, so stick
around! :)

I read this group once a week...