CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   any loom knitting here? (fwd) (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=85350)

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen July 11th 07 04:22 AM

any loom knitting here? (fwd)

Melinda Please READ my first answer , my point was that i am not happy
with the use o9f the name loom for the knitting activity ,,,,, and
that in this case it should be called Frame ,,, i say that the word
Loom should be kept for the WEAVING activity .....
mirjam

I have no idea what kind of knitting machine you are talking about, but
my knitting machine as well as my knitting looms (e.g. hand ones) knit
*exactly* the same as knitting, except that each stitch is held on a
separate hook (knitting machine) or peg (hand knitting loom), but they
are knit *exactly* the same way as you would do on needles.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply July 11th 07 07:30 AM

any loom knitting here? (fwd)

I see. Well, since it is in such common usage, I don't know how much
luck you would have with changing it, and I don't think that "frame"
describes what happens when you knit without needles.

Mary Fisher July 11th 07 10:35 AM

any loom knitting here? (fwd)

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
I see. Well, since it is in such common usage, I don't know how much luck
you would have with changing it, and I don't think that "frame" describes
what happens when you knit without needles.

All that's true. Although the word 'loom' in this context isn't as far as I
know used in Britain* it does seem to be so common elsewhere that a
one-woman crusade isn't gong to effect a change.

Lots of usage of English words - in Britain as well as USA :-) - irritates
me but I can only change myself, not anyone else.

Mary
* I don't know about commercial knitting