CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Fabric Recommendations/was Painting with a Needle (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=20501)

Dianne Lewandowski July 25th 03 02:26 PM

Fabric Recommendations/was Painting with a Needle

Yes, I know. And it concerns me. But after being on RCTN for at least
6/7 years, I'm aware of the phenomena. There's a significant portion of
the population who does not know the difference, will not pay the added
cost, will not attempt to learn - either the technique, the difference,
or make the choice when doing certain things.

Dianne

FKBABB wrote:
It would be interesting to know why some embroidery texts recommend synthetics
over silk. Is it because the synthetics have the look of silk but other
qualities that make them a superior ground? Or is it because synthetics are
more easily available and less expensive? Or, maybe, because it's what the
designer perceives the customer wants?

I once queried a designer about why she had used Aida in a cross stitch kit. I
had taken one look at the chart and found some huge areas composed only of
partial crosses. I immediately swapped the Aida for some nice,
easier-for-partials linen. She said that when the shop originally put the kits
together they used a plainweave for the reason I cited, but got so many
customers who asked for Aida instead -- plainweave is too hard, they said --
that they'd made Aida the standard for the kit. Interesting how market forces
can drive people in the wrong direction.

Annie