CraftBanter

-   -   Quilted jacket (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=139784)

Brian[_3_] December 29th 15 12:31 AM

Quilted jacket

Several years ago I made myself a quilted jacket
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0908/, album = quilted jacket). I
took the pictures with my phone, so they are not "great." Even where I
live, Tucson, AZ, it gets cold enough where I need to wear this
relatively heavy jacket some of the time this time of year.

I used a jean jacket pattern.

First I cut the pattern pieces out.

Then I strip quilted the "major" pieces: Back, 2 front, 4 (I think) for
the shoulder yoke, and the sleeves.

I considered making a great big quilt and using that, but I figured there
would be a lot less quiting and waste if I did it piece by piece, and
just quilted the major pieces.

I did not quilt the smaller pieces such as the collar and the waistband.

Then I just put the pattern together via the instructions, using the
quilted pieces instead of denim or whatever.

Whenever I wear the jacket, I almost always get some commentary such as
"that is a neat jacket, where did you get it?"

I hope I am not committing any deadly sins here, but I always feel a bit
of pride when I say I made it.

If the person that makes the comment turns out to be a quilter or sewer,
I explain in some detail what I did, if they are not I just say I adapted
a jean jacket pattern.

Brian Christiansen

Bobbie Sews More December 29th 15 01:58 PM

Quilted jacket

"Brian" wrote in message ...

Several years ago I made myself a quilted jacket
(https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0908/, album = quilted jacket). I
took the pictures with my phone, so they are not "great." Even where I
live, Tucson, AZ, it gets cold enough where I need to wear this
relatively heavy jacket some of the time this time of year.

(clip)

I like you jacket and I agree about Tucson getting cold, especially if you
travel up on the mountains! It always make me feel good hem someone
comments on something I have made!
Hope to see you posting more often.
Barbara in central FL

Brian[_3_] December 30th 15 12:25 AM

Quilted jacket

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 08:58:17 -0500, Bobbie Sews More wrote:

I like you jacket and I agree about Tucson getting cold, especially if
you travel up on the mountains! It always make me feel good hem someone
comments on something I have made!
Hope to see you posting more often.
Barbara in central FL

Thank you. I have not been up on Mount Lemon very often, but I think in
the winter I would need at least this jacket, or even perhaps my big
heavy ski jacket that is filled with down or fiber-fill or whatever.

Brian Christiansen