CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Butternut Squash... (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=43359)

Carol In WI October 20th 04 10:03 AM

Butternut Squash...

Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

SlinkyToy October 20th 04 12:35 PM

I prefer to use it fresh, but it cans and freezes well. Cook it prior
to doing either.

B Vaughan October 20th 04 12:53 PM

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:35:51 GMT, SlinkyToy
wrote:

I prefer to use it fresh, but it cans and freezes well. Cook it prior
to doing either.

Isn't squash one of those low-acid vegetables that has to be canned in
a pressure cooker?

wrote:

Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

GSHEPDOG October 20th 04 01:01 PM

Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

Hi:

I usually bake it, mash it and add brown sugar or maple syrup. Then I freeze
it in ziploc bags in one or two meal servings. It freezes very well.

HTH

Lee

Michelle October 20th 04 01:31 PM

Carol In WI wrote in message
Has anyone ever canned or frozen it with any success? Carol In WI

When my children were still small enough for baby food, I'd bake it, peel
it, then mash it and freeze it in little cubes (ice-cube trays). After
defrosting, I'd either mash it with milk for whomever was a baby at the
time, or use brown sugar for anyone else. Most winter squashes are great
for this.

I've never canned it, but I'd guess it'd work fine.

Michelle

--
Michelle in St. John's
NL, Canada

Carol In WI October 20th 04 08:55 PM

I've cooked it completely and canned it, I also blanched it and frozen it
and it still wasn't good. Carol In WI

Gwendoline Kelly October 24th 04 08:55 AM

Carol I have not frozen it raw but often frozen it cooked - just for the fun
of it I must add that we call it a butternut pumpkin - all red flesh things
of this kind are pumpkins here - squash are things with yellow flesh. God
Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly