CraftBanter

-   -   question about purple fabric (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=52905)

SMark July 5th 05 11:40 PM

question about purple fabric

I have a question. I did a google search and can not find my answer.

I have noticed that when I iron some of my purple pieces, the fabric will
change color. Most of the time, the purple comes back, except yesterday
ironing a Debbie Mumm piece, the color did not come back. Why does this
happen and should I use these pieces in my quilt or should I discard these
pieces as inferior?

Thanks!

Sandi M.

Quiltshophopper July 6th 05 12:25 AM

Sandi,
I will do you this favor: I will take them off your hands. You should mail
all your purples to me. I decided to make a Cyndi and Dennis, my DH, storm
at sea quilt from purples, blues and greens. Jewel tones.

Cyndi Yelton
9520 Palomas Ave NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109

your welcome.

Heather Cross July 6th 05 01:31 AM

I made a quilt using some purple homespun and it went a funny red-purple
colour when I ironed it. Don't know why but the homespun also had to be
washed several times to stop the colour running.
Heather in West OZ

The Larsons July 6th 05 03:10 AM

Is your iron too hot? I've had that happen to me...Lisa Queen of freebies

DrQuilter July 6th 05 05:33 AM

I've seen this too. Some fabrics change colour but all the ones I've
seen do this come back to normal when they cool down...

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Roberta Zollner July 6th 05 07:02 AM

I don't know the answer either (looked it up in Hargrave's "Fiber to Fabric"
and it wasn't mentioned). But I'd be interested to know whether the piece
was washed or not. Is it possible for all the sizing etc. in "factory fresh"
fabric to react to the heat of the iron and change the color?

If you read through the above book, it describes the process and qualities
of the various dyes used on fabric. Obviously, heating the dye, even when
it's dry on the fabric, will change the chemistry enough to alter the color
in some cases, but IME the original color always came back. But I pre-wash
everything.
Roberta in D

link.net...