CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Online Yarn Sale -- Suggestions? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=38587)

Allaya Diep August 5th 03 02:30 AM

Online Yarn Sale -- Suggestions?

Hi everybody!

I got an email from Smiley's that informed me of a special they were running
on Lion Brand Homespun yarn...only $1.99 a skein! I thought I'd make an
afghan out of it. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what pattern I
should use?

The yarn is very curly and would not do well with lace...however I'd like
something interesting none the less. I'm open to knit or crochet ideas (but
no squares, please!).

If you guys want to take a look, here's the link:

http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/...ezshopper?user
_id=id&file=mailer8-04.htm

Thanks for your help!

Allaya

Noreen's Knit*che August 5th 03 05:57 PM

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:30:33 -0500, Allaya Diep wrote:
Hi everybody!

I got an email from Smiley's that informed me of a special they
were running
on Lion Brand Homespun yarn...only $1.99 a skein! I thought I'd
make an
afghan out of it. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what
pattern I
should use?

The yarn is very curly and would not do well with lace...however
I'd like
something interesting none the less. I'm open to knit or crochet
ideas (but
no squares, please!).

If you guys want to take a look, here's the link:

http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-
shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user
_id=3Did&file=3Dmailer8-04.htm

Thanks for your help!

Allaya

Allaya, I've responded off-list, check your offline messages on ICQ.
Noreen

Allaya Diep August 6th 03 01:05 AM

Hmmm...I guess you're right...I've actually never worked with this yarn
before, so I'm not sure how detailed I can get with it...I guess I just
assumed that I needed to pick a stitch that would showcase the yarn more
than any sort of knitting skill...although I'd be too bored if I just did
garter stitch.

I was thinking of doing Sea Foam on big needles. Do you think it will show
up?
"Sonya Cirillo" wrote in message
Allaya:

Before completely dismissing Homespun and a lace pattern - check out
their free Diamond Shawl pattern. . . I made a shawl with another lace
pattern and this yarn for DD and it came out very nice.

Not saying that you *should* do a lace pattern - just that this yarn
surprisingly works rather well with lace patterns. What probablly won't
work too well is 'fancy' pattern stitches - ones that depend on the
texture of the stitch, ie. cables or any of the ones that make use of
the difference between knit and purl. . . they will disappear, somewhat,
into the texture of the yarn.

Actually with this yarn - I wouldn't bother - if I didn't want a lacey
one - I'd just knit or garter stitch it straight on largish needles so
that it's texture, softness and varegated colors are the main show.

Good luck - I'm positive you'll find the perfect idea!!!

Sonya