CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Irish wool sweater - question on restoration (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=98936)

Ron[_4_] November 6th 08 10:25 PM

Irish wool sweater - question on restoration

Pardon me if I'm in the wrong group, but I'm not sure where to post this
question. (Redirection welcomed.)

I've long owned a natural wool fiber hand woven Irish sweater. Over the
years, in trying to remove small stains, I've also removed the natural oil
so that there are now some patches that show brighter than the original.
Sorta like "clean spots," if you know what I mean. It's a very noticeable
contrast with the original "worn" color tone. These areas actually feel
less oily, too.

I'm looking for suggestions for restoring the oil to these areas, or perhaps
treating the entire garment to return to the original look and feel. Seems
the alternative would be to spray the whole thing with Shout, and wash.
That'll produce a uniform color again, but lighter (and "dryer") than the
original. I'd rather have the original, natural look and feel.

Is there a standard way to do this? If so, I'd appreciate suggestions for
the type of oil and a method for applying it.

Thank you, Ron

Edna November 7th 08 10:59 AM

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

I found this recommendation which might help.

Edna in Sydney

http://www.sweaters.org/index.php/sw...tomer_service/

Mary November 7th 08 05:28 PM

Irish wool sweater - question on restoration

I would be tempted to remove all of the lanolin and get the sweater
back to uniform color, and then put lanolin back in via the lotion-
with-lanolin-and-water-added method you found. The Shout would
probably do the trick for the first part -- getting the uniform color
back. Just be absolutely sure you only use cool water, and don't put
the sweater in the dryer!