CraftBanter

-   Beads (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "Lampwork Bead Collection 4 Breast Cancer" (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=2211)

MargieK October 10th 03 06:10 PM

"Lampwork Bead Collection 4 Breast Cancer"

Another wonderful contribution from generous bead artists.

Margie
http://www.PictureTrail.com/margiek
My auctions:
http://snurl.com/245y
http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=upeggedme

Barbara Otterson October 11th 03 06:38 PM

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:10:30 -0500, MargieK
wrote:

Another wonderful contribution from generous bead artists.

Why is it that I never find out about these things
until they're a done deal. Donating to these types
of auctions, I mean.
My sister is a breast cancer survivor. My dad
died of cancer. I donate $ to CERF. But do I
ever hear about things where I could pour
out some emotion into a piece that could bring
more money than I can afford to donate any other
way? Nope. And I don't have time to search all
over looking for such things.
Oh well, now that this is out there, and will be
archived somewhere, maybe an opportunity
to contribute to a cause that really touches me
will arise!
Did Congress ever get off its collective dead
ass and pass the bill to allow artists to deduct
the full value of donated works from their taxes,
rather than just the cost of materials?
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter

MargieK October 12th 03 01:04 AM

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:38:08 GMT, Barbara Otterson

Why is it that I never find out about these things
until they're a done deal. Donating to these types
of auctions, I mean.
My sister is a breast cancer survivor. My dad
died of cancer. I donate $ to CERF. But do I
ever hear about things where I could pour
out some emotion into a piece that could bring
more money than I can afford to donate any other
way? Nope. And I don't have time to search all
over looking for such things.

Barbara, I felt the same way when Cheryl pointed out the BC auction on
JustBeads. As a survivor and a frequent contributor to the S.G. Komen
Foundation I would have loved to make something and contribute in that
manner. Instead I've asked for a very nice birthday present and have
a bid on Cheryl's beads.

So my dear, what is stopping any of us from doing similar next year?
I'd be willing to contribute, host and advertise or just contribute.
Cheryl????

Kalera Stratton October 12th 03 03:27 AM

In article ,
Barbara Otterson wrote:

[...]

I always hear about stuff like this too late, too... I haven't been able
to keep up with wetcanvas, and when I do drop by I usually just look at
the tech forum. I would have loved to be in on this one.

--
-Kalera

---------

http://www.beadwife.com
auctions at http://www.snurl.com/1sfe

Christina Peterson October 12th 03 04:49 AM

I'll bet they have a mailing list.

Tina

"Kalera Stratton" wrote

Barbara Otterson October 12th 03 07:06 PM

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:04:45 -0500, MargieK
wrote:
Barbara, I felt the same way when Cheryl pointed out the BC auction on
JustBeads. As a survivor and a frequent contributor to the S.G. Komen
Foundation I would have loved to make something and contribute in that
manner. Instead I've asked for a very nice birthday present and have
a bid on Cheryl's beads.

So my dear, what is stopping any of us from doing similar next year?
I'd be willing to contribute, host and advertise or just contribute.
Cheryl????

A couple years back, a bunch of us on rec.crafts.professional
(back when the group was still active........) got off on a sock
monkey tangent while discussion the sludge that finds its way
into "fine art shows".
We ended up with a sock money make from the wool
spun and knitted by one member. Another made her
dress (we named the monkey Thessolonia Monk), a
couple of us made jewelry for her (that would also
fit her purchaser). Someone else made a chair for
her to sit in, another person a box for her to travel
in. Someone else painted the inside of the box
with a fireplace, etc.
In short, we all went nuts. We had a ball. She
was auctioned off at BMAC for CERF. The only
problem was that it was too much stuff in one
place! The silent auction prices just don't go that
high. It was great fun, though. And money was
raised for Cerf.
There was talk about doing SOS (**** on a stick).
You know, a upscale version of the tacky 1.00 items
you see at fairs. A nice bead on a stick = a hair stick.
A nice hunk of fused glass on a metal stick = a
garden stake. You get the picture.
It never got done. I could see it as a fund raiser
for any number of worthy causes..........