CraftBanter

-   Carving (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cedar Elm (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=84908)

thomas June 26th 07 03:11 AM

Cedar Elm

I've got some geen cedar elm sticks. Is this stuff any good for
carving? I'm thinking about making a knife handle. Is it hard enough
to make a plane with? I know nada about this tree.

Richard June 26th 07 06:04 PM

Cedar Elm

thomas wrote:
I've got some geen cedar elm sticks. Is this stuff any good for
carving? I'm thinking about making a knife handle. Is it hard enough
to make a plane with? I know nada about this tree.

Here is a desc. of elm
http://cgi.photobooks.com/scripts/tr...ict_id=0000080

Your cedar elm is listed as the same. Might be a little tough for
carving, unless you use mallet tools. should make good knife handles
mill it up and see. Knife makers will use most anything.

thomas June 26th 07 09:42 PM

Cedar Elm

Here is a desc. of elmhttp://cgi.photobooks.com/scripts/troll.cgi?dbase=hardwood&page=2&pic...

Your cedar elm is listed as the same. Might be a little tough for
carving, unless you use mallet tools. should make good knife handles
mill it up and see. Knife makers will use most anything.

Thank you. I picked some green Bradford pear sticks off the same pile.
Those will probably be better for making planes, I suppose.

Richard June 27th 07 12:37 AM

Cedar Elm

The elm would make a plane, It is stable after it drys, so is the pear.
For the body of the plane you can use most any wood. If it too soft you
can add a harder wood for the sole.
What type of plane are you planing on making?

--

Richard

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

Take a look at my mess and work.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"