CraftBanter

-   -   OT Moving (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=140234)

Night Mist January 28th 18 05:25 PM

OT Moving

Well we got all our stuff moved, though we are far from organized yet.
We did not clean the old place as much as we would have liked because the plumbing went from bad to worse and we had to turn the water off to avoid flooding and electrocution and badness.

The horrible couch and matching chair were hauled away in the dumpster. A fellow in another group informs me that dumpsters are called skips in the UK because of the little dance you do when you chuck something awful into them. Considering the gavotte I performed with DD when that couch and chair went in, I Believe!

Originally there was a stove, fridge, washer and dryer that were supposed to go with the house, but when she got less money than she wanted Lady decided to keep them. That pleased me very well because then I didn't have to figure out how to get rid of them. With the possible exception of the fridge all mine were better, and she did not take the dishwasher because it is a built in. The dishwasher has been a learning curve because we have never had one that was not a daughter. I have been thinking about naming it Genavieve just so I have something easy to call it if it makes me cranky.

The internet connection has been a treat to get going. It was driving the company nuts because it would just stop for several hours and then start up again out of the blue. Finally they just replaced the new modem with another new modem, and that seems to have done the trick. I will be getting credited for the outages on my bill.
My proper computer has not been set up. DH has been trying to talk me into a laptop. kiri's mum is a muckamuck in the IT department where she works, she was allowed to rescue a pile of laptops that were doomed for the recycler. She gave us a bunch, DH has rehabbed most of them, and is trying to convince me to replace my tower with one because the laptop insides are mightier than the tower's. Problem is, every single one he has tried to hook me up with malfunctions. The one I am on now works, so long as you position your cursor
carefully on the menu bar and click your application without moving the cursor at all. Also you have to power button out rather than doing a proper shutdown. He says we just have to reinstall the OS, I'm telling him that a fourth reinstall probably is not going to fix anything, and it is probably a cranky intel chipset, and please can I have my AMD processor back?

My sewing machines have not been set up yet. I will probably set the Pfaff up downstairs and work from there while the rest of the machines languish in the attic room until the time comes to refurbish that room for textiles.

Pertaining to the attic, we found a secret door. There is a panel in the bathroom laundry side closet, you tap along the edge to find the spot, then press down and slide the panel sideways, then behold! a stairway up to a trapdoor into the attic. A scarily badly maintained stairway mind you, it will need to be sturdied up, but an access other than the lost door (the door hanging in space in the wall over the regular stairs).

We have been warm! (break for happy happy dance)
The furnace is a beast, and possibly the most efficient wood burning furnace I have ever encountered anywhere. I've ordered a cord of hardwood, that has been delayed in delivery because I ordered from a fireman and there was an enormous fire in the middle of the town he serves. We have been getting by on scraps, both from here and a small load from the baseball bat factory, and we have not been cold. We will start fetching our own in (we have a lot of downed wood out back including some hornbeam) but that will not be fit to burn until next year at soonest. I am planning on planting with a coppice in mind, but that will take a few years at best. Fortunately by my best estimate we will be able to heat the place with 2-3 cords of decent wood a year. Between our own resources and getting downed tree reports from the state forest guys we should be able to do that no problem.

DH had a wild hair and installed a bidet. Yep you read that right, a bidet.. It is an inexpensive sort, it attaches to the stool and you adjust for either ladies, or regular, pull the lever to start the water, and let go of the lever to stop the water. I thought he was bonkers. Now I think it is possibly the best $60 he has ever spent. We just have to either replace the seat (which is a $5 wally world special anyway), or get a taller bumper for the front, so that one does not pinch one's leg when ascending the throne.

We have a barn cat. We had a discussion as to what to do about that. You don't want an animal living in your buildings that you take no responsibility for. However if we just trapped it and took it to the humane society we would just have another one lickety split. That is how barn cats work. Besides there is no sign of mice or rats anywhere, not in the house (she(?) seems to have a way into the basement, but is gone in a flash when we go down there), not in the barn, not in the hay shed. So the barn cat is very very good at being a barn cat. So I called the humane society and asked if there is a program for such a situation. I found out that for $45 I can get barn cat spayed or neutered, plus get him or her a rabies shot and a distemper shot. Sounds like a deal. We do not need a flood of kittens, and the shots just make sense especially with the abundance of wildlife we have. Now we just have to figure out how to trap a semi-feral cat and transport it safely and cleanly. I have to wonder if the people we bought from just moved without the cat. it is awfully sleek for an animal that has been living rough, but then it is a mighty hunter. We feed it at least once a day, because that just seems like the right thing. We have seen it on the porch a couple of times, it took a bit before the lure of food overcame the fear of the motion sensor light flicking on. It is a little black cat that looks all around it every time it takes a bite. We are working very hard at not naming it.

NightMist