CraftBanter

-   -   Penny wise and pound foolish (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=27616)

frood October 19th 03 02:57 PM

Bummer about the thread. Are you continuing on with it, or switching to
something else? Are you sure it's the thread causing the breakage, and not
something else to do with FM quilting? I don't know what to suggest, as I'm
still a beginner at that myself.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
The thread I bought to do machine quilting with was inexpensive enough,

and
does straightline quilting with no problem. There is a lot of free motion
work needing to be done and I cant tell you how many times the upper

thread
has broken. Grrrrr... my time is worth more than the headache this thread

is
giving me... figurative headache thank the stars! With my older eyes
threading the needle time and again is not a fun thing to do! Next time Im
looking for the threads you all recommend most. ( a google search is in my
future so theres no need to rehash this again, unless of course you want

to.
:-)
I just wanted to vent a little. Thanks. I feel lots better now.
Diana
ps. One of the quilts is a baby quilt that I hope to finish tomorrow, so
pictures will be available soon! yay!

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

frood October 19th 03 03:27 PM

Hey, now watch it! I didn't suggest anything! If you inferred that I meant
to change threads, that's your problem! ;-P

However, since you now said (you really need to put all the information in
the first post...) you have the cone rigged up, I'll tell you this.
Paperclips are your friend. When I use a cone, I put it behind my machine,
over to the right. Then, the thread comes up to the top of the machine, goes
through a paperclip I have taped up there, then into the threading assembly
of the machine. I also use this paperclip when I use Star thread (my
favorite). They are bigger spools, and need an adapter on my upright
(vertical) spool pin. I had problems until I put it through the paperclip
before it went into the tension whatsits.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im not entirely sure. It seems to happen around curves..but Ive used plain
dual duty thread for FM and this hasnt happened. It could be the thread,

or
the way Im working, or the way I have the cone of thread rigged up since

it
wont stay on the spool holder.. or it could be the way jupiter is aligning
to mars today.
I think Im going to take your suggestion and change threads. Since it
seems fine for SITD thats what its going to get to do. (that will teach it
eh?)
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
m...

Diana Curtis October 19th 03 05:59 PM

Youre right, you didnt suggest. Im grasping at straws.
Im going to try your suggestion of running it thru a paper clip before it
goes thru the tensioners. I tried changing to dual duty thread and it didnt
break as fast but it did break and so Im taking a break myself. Cas, she of
oz and frequent lurker, suggested I loosen the top tension a bit. A googled
post suggested going more slowly around the curves too. There are just so
many variables that by the time I have it figured out which ....or which
combination of factors are making it break Ill have the darn baby quilt
done!
Thanks Wendy, for the suggestions.
Diana

Marcella Tracy Peek October 19th 03 09:21 PM

In article ,
"Diana Curtis" wrote:

[...]

Last week this happened to a beginner student of mine. A new needle
fixed the problem. Might help you at least finish this project...maybe?

marcella

Teresa in Colorado October 19th 03 10:46 PM

I am not sure of the exact numbers here, but here goes...

Something in the neighborhood of 40% of all needles made are rejected
because of defects.
Some of the rest should have been rejected.
So, the needle is always suspect - even if you just put it in.

If you are having tension/breaking problems, you should
1) Rethread the machine making sure it really is threaded properly
especially through the tension disks
2) Check the bobbin to make sure it's properly wound and threaded
3) Clean the machine (more on that below)
4) Change the needle
5) Check the hook for burrs

To clean your machine (do NOT use canned air - it forces dust and stuff
deeper in the machine)
You should do this about every 4 hours of actual sewing time so your machine
will be happy.
1) Lower the feed dogs and remove the needle plate
2) Remove the bobbin case and (if applicable) hook
3) Put a few drops of sewing machine oil on a q-tip
4) Swab every inch of surface you can get to with the q-tip. The oil
will pick up threads and dust and stuff quite nicely.
Better than a brush. Don't forget the area around and underneath the
feeddogs.
5) Put a drop of oil on the metal where the hook goes
6) Put everything back together
7) Change the needle
8) (this is the part I always forget) re-engage the feeddogs :-)

--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com
--
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Thanks for the thought, I would change it but I just put this one in and

its
my last new one. Hmmmm.. time to stock up again? :-)
I tried some different thread, took the speed around the curves more

slowly
and it seems to have solved the problem. Now if the bobbin would stop
running out of thread Id have it all licked! lol
Thanks for the tips everyone!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Diana Curtis October 20th 03 01:17 AM

Great tips, thank you!
I shall get qtips next time I am out and pick up new needles as well.
If I had ink in the printer I would print this list up and keep it near
Bernie... so I could remember to put the feed dogs back up! :-)
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
nk.net...

Lorilynn King October 23rd 03 04:26 PM

I echo Teresa's comments about cleaning your machine every 4 hours of sewing.
The amount of lint I see in the bobbin area of machines that I service is
sometimes appalling. I see so many machines where there is so much lint packed
under the feed dogs that it holds its shape (makes a "mold" of the feed dogs)
when I remove it!

Last night I worked on a Bernina 1130 that came in for a normal service, and the
owner had mentioned that the feed dogs weren't working. I took the machine
apart, the lower carriage was *full* of lint, and there was NO oil to lubricate
the parts that move to make the feed dogs go up and down. The lint had sucked up
every bit of that oil and the metal parts could not move freely.

The owner of this machine was incredibly lucky. In the case of the feed dogs,
they just didn't move up and down. But if it had been something else that had
dried up (say, the needle mechanism, or the mechanism that moves the hook),
there would have been some VERY expensive repairs, because there are parts of
the machine that will seize up if they're not properly lubricated and the motor
will actually try to make those parts move. The motor could burn out, major
components of the machine (drive shafts, gears, for example) could be destroyed,
etc.

--
Lori
http://www.users.qwest.net/~lsquared/

Chocolate reduces stress. And it's so much quieter than throwing a screaming
fit.