CraftBanter

-   Pottery (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Trouble with matt glaze (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=89676)

[email protected] November 30th 07 04:47 AM

Trouble with matt glaze

I am using Laguna cone 5 glazes in a gas kiln, and I got some new matt
finish ones that came out like sand paper to the touch. I made test
tiles of all the new ones I got, but in the interest of time, I simply
dipped the tile in the glaze. The came out just fine, just how the
were supposed to.

Now, on the pots that I recently fired, I sprayed the glaze, as it my
wantin way to do it. Well, some of them are completely, uniformly ruff
to the touch, although the color came out as it should have.

I'm thinking that I just had it on to thin, might that be the opinion
if any of you??

I have experienced my spaying being not quite thick enough, but where
the glaze comes out ruff, it is really thin. The pieces I am
questioning, the glaze appears to be very uniform, meaning no thin
areas, it's just very nasty to touch.
You thoughts
Sa

D Kat November 30th 07 07:31 PM

Trouble with matt glaze

Too thin is my vote - did you check the thickness on any of them? Are you
sure you had the glaze mixed well is another option. How much is in a batch
and do you put that entire batch in the sprayer?

Donna

Bubbles_ December 4th 07 06:38 PM

Trouble with matt glaze

Not that I'm an expert, but I would also suspect that the glaze was too
thin, so that the droplets have become little corns of sand instead. Maybe
dip with the new glazes? or just spray a little thicker? Personally, I
prefer using brushes to brush my glazes on, as then I can vary the thickness
and get cool effects. Never experienced sandpapery glazes myself.

Marianne