CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Anyone know about mitered squares (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=105528)

[email protected] October 15th 09 06:59 PM

Anyone know about mitered squares

I hate doing swatches. And, I am trying to figure how you come with
the right amount of stitches for an 8" mitered square. How are you
able to calculate that? Portia, Southern California

suzee October 16th 09 06:50 AM

wrote:
I hate doing swatches. And, I am trying to figure how you come with
the right amount of stitches for an 8" mitered square. How are you
able to calculate that? Portia, Southern California

The only way you can calculate that is to know your sts/inch, and the
only way to know that is.... knit a sample.

sue

[email protected] October 16th 09 08:16 PM

Anyone know about mitered squares

Thanks. That is the one thing I hate. My guessimating is always a
little off. But, I will give it a go. Oh one more question. has anyone
ever tried making scarves or bags using mitered squares?

mirjam October 16th 09 10:59 PM

Anyone know about mitered squares

The only way you can calculate that is to know your sts/inch, and the
only way to know that is.... knit a sample.

sue- Hide quoted text -

The good [ and after you try it the easiest way to make a any knitted
thing well sized s is by smapling , knit 20 st with your WANTED
pattern over 10 rows ,, now measure and writye down 20 St= ? cm
[ inches ] , now measure wanted size ,,, and calculate how many st to
make .
for a mittered square you make the wanted st, + 1 st in the corner ,
than again the amount of wanted size ,,,, now you knit a row , and
every second row you dearese 1 st at each side of the middle st.
mittered squares are better off if not all rows are the same all the
time.
I have made sweaters shawls moebiouses , vests a doll , etc from
mittered squares ,
mirjam
ps keep yopur swatches with time you will have enough to use in some
work !!!!

suzee October 16th 09 11:37 PM

wrote:
Thanks. That is the one thing I hate. My guessimating is always a
little off. But, I will give it a go. Oh one more question. has anyone
ever tried making scarves or bags using mitered squares?

I would think a bag would be easy as you just make a square. You could
make small squares and sew together for a scarf, or pick up sts along
one side of the first one, cast on the same number of sts to make the
next square, and keep going.

sue

mirjam October 17th 09 08:42 AM

Anyone know about mitered squares

In my Son`s swetaer i alternated Big squares with smaller ones ,,, [=
1 big square and next to it 4 with half the measure of the bigger one

________|________|
| | | |
mirjam

[email protected] October 17th 09 09:24 PM

Anyone know about mitered squares

Thanks to you both. I think this going to take some concentration in
study for this work for me. But, in the meantime, I ahve other things
that are a work in progress. I ahve 3 scarves on needles. One
lengthwise and 2 others ones I am working on. But, I will have to get
in focus in doing swatches. Portia

mirjam October 18th 09 05:48 AM

Anyone know about mitered squares

Portia, one other advice , keep a copybook in which you will write you
`experiments `

like ,,,,, wool [name of wool or description] , knitted on needles
number ?
20 stitches = x cm [or inches ] in pattern.? etc,, also write any
detail that was importnat to you ,,,
this will help you for YEARS later .
mirjam

[email protected] October 19th 09 10:46 PM

Anyone know about mitered squares

So far, I have been able to copy notes on a note card and staple it to
my patterns that I work on. Variations and such. It helps. I have a
multidirectional scarf that has so many notes and variations on it.
Anyway, its a fun scarf to do. Hope you are well Mirjam and thanks for
the tip. (L&H) Portia, Southern California where it is partly cloudy
and makes Portia a happy knitter. :-)

mirjam October 21st 09 06:22 AM

Anyone know about mitered squares

On Oct 19, 11:46*pm, "
wrote:
So far, I have been able to copy notes on a note card and staple it to
my patterns that I work on. Variations and such. It helps. I have a
multidirectional scarf that has so many notes and variations on it.
Anyway, its a fun scarf to do. Hope you are well Mirjam and thanks for
the tip. (L&H) Portia, Southern California where it is partly cloudy
and makes Portia a happy knitter. :-)

That is a good start Portia,
i loved cards , but they compliacted my work , [ i keep an index of
articles and patterns in a box with cards ,,,, patterns and all
details of a knitted work seemed to me [but this is a very personal
choice ], much more fitting in a copybook .

happy knitting
mirjam