CraftBanter

-   Jewelry (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stupid Question? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=103407)

[email protected] June 15th 09 04:46 PM

Stupid Question?

Hello People,
This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to make
PMC jewelry using a torch or do you have to have a kiln?
TIA,
Judith

Jim June 15th 09 06:35 PM

Stupid Question?

Not a stupid question. There are several different types and
formulations for the clays. Most will require a kiln for better
temperaure and time control, but there sre some that can get results
with the use of a torch. I'm willing to be, however, that, after a few
torchings, you'll want to change over to kiln use.

:46:25 -0700, " discovered a keyboard and, for our edification and amusement, submitted

Hello People,
This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to make
PMC jewelry using a torch or do you have to have a kiln?
TIA,
Judith

Blessed be, for sure...

Jim June 16th 09 01:00 AM

Stupid Question?

Not a stupid question. There are several different types and
formulations for the clays. Most will require a kiln for better
temperaure and time control, but there are some that can get results
with the use of a torch. I'm willing to bet, however, that, after a few

ted frater June 16th 09 04:55 PM

Stupid Question?

wrote:
Hello People,
This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to make
PMC jewelry using a torch or do you have to have a kiln?
TIA,
Judith

Ive not used your particular medium to make anything let alone jellery,
but as a maker of jewellery in traditional metal i tend to follow the
material makers instructions on its use to start with before
experimenting on my own for cost reasons alone..
For example if your making a cake you could try and bake it with a
torch, or you couild do what it says on the packet and bake in an oven
at so many degrees for so long.
Do you get my thinking?
so with PMC , powdered metal? if youve a fully equipped workshop then
the easiest way to find out if your idea works is to try it.
With torch work of any sort, there are so many variables, gasses, torch
sizes short hot flames of oxygen and acetylene or large slow flames of
propane on its own ,let alone wether the flame is neutral, oxidsing or
reducing.
As one might say, try it and see.One person might get it to work
,anoter might get failure.

sunrainor June 18th 09 02:29 AM

Stupid Question?

On Jun 16, 11:46am, "
wrote:
Hello People,
This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to make
PMC jewelry using a torch or do you have to have a kiln?
TIA,
Judith

Judith, it also depends on the size and thickness of the piece and the
number of parts that join or are thin also - basically bigger,
thicker, more complex = better in a kiln. I've successfully done small
pieces on my stovetop also - in a metal sieve. You must get and hold
it at the temp where the binder burns off and the metal
'sinters' (correct term?).