CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I WAS WONDERING... (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=108599)

LindaLee April 29th 10 01:15 PM

I WAS WONDERING...

Is there a way we can make new posts pop such as the subject line in
caps to make it pop against all the spam that's found it's way into
this group?

suzeeq April 29th 10 03:19 PM

I WAS WONDERING...

LindaLee wrote:
Is there a way we can make new posts pop such as the subject line in
caps to make it pop against all the spam that's found it's way into
this group?

I seldom see spam in this group. My newsservers filter it out. If you're
using google groups, they don't filter.

mirjam April 30th 10 05:51 AM

I WAS WONDERING...

I seldom see spam in this group. My newsservers filter it out. If you're
using google groups, they don't filter.

This Sapm is horrible , one way to reduce it is to complain to google
groups , there is a special place to do it , if more people will
actually do it, they will help ,
mirjam

LindaLee April 30th 10 12:58 PM

I WAS WONDERING...

On Apr 30, 12:51*am, mirjam wrote:
I seldom see spam in this group. My newsservers filter it out. If you're
using google groups, they don't filter.

This Sapm is horrible , one way to reduce it is to complain to google
groups , there is a special place to do it , if more people will
actually do it, they will help ,
mirjam

I did see the free Google reader and signed up. Thanks for the
input. I didn't know what it was as I am fairly new to the computer
world taking baby steps from the mail station, webtv and now the
computer. Patience is required for some of us. :-)

LindaLee April 30th 10 05:10 PM

I WAS WONDERING...

"suzeeq" wrote in message

LindaLee wrote:
Is there a way we can make new posts pop such as the subject line in
caps to make it pop against all the spam that's found it's way into
this group?

I seldom see spam in this group. My newsservers filter it out. If you're
using google groups, they don't filter.- Hide quoted text -

sniff, sniff...here I am thinking I was all that signing up for the
Reader (Google) and what did I see when I used it...the same spam,
spam, spam. Since some of us do see it and others don't I will just
be quiet about the whole thing. But for those lucky ones I will just
say there's a good 10 to 12 pieces of spam each day to purchase things
on E-bay.

Olwyn.Mary April 30th 10 06:19 PM

I WAS WONDERING...

LindaLee wrote:

LindaLee wrote:

Is there a way we can make new posts pop such as the subject line in
caps to make it pop against all the spam that's found it's way into
this group?

I seldom see spam in this group. My newsservers filter it out. If you're
using google groups, they don't filter.- Hide quoted text -

sniff, sniff...here I am thinking I was all that signing up for the
Reader (Google) and what did I see when I used it...the same spam,
spam, spam. Since some of us do see it and others don't I will just
be quiet about the whole thing. But for those lucky ones I will just
say there's a good 10 to 12 pieces of spam each day to purchase things
on E-bay.

..what you need is both a server and a news reader. I happen to use
Mozilla Thunderbird as my server, and news.eternal september.org as my
reader. Both are free, and seem to work well, filtering out the spam.
Perhaps one of our more computer-savvy posters can give you step-by-step
directions for how to get there.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

suzeeq April 30th 10 07:27 PM

I WAS WONDERING...

"suzeeq" wrote in message

LindaLee wrote:
Is there a way we can make new posts pop such as the subject line in
caps to make it pop against all the spam that's found it's way into
this group?
I seldom see spam in this group. My newsservers filter it out. If you're
using google groups, they don't filter.- Hide quoted text -

sniff, sniff...here I am thinking I was all that signing up for the
Reader (Google) and what did I see when I used it...the same spam,
spam, spam. Since some of us do see it and others don't I will just
be quiet about the whole thing. But for those lucky ones I will just
say there's a good 10 to 12 pieces of spam each day to purchase things
on E-bay.

You need a newsserver where you can read posts on your mail program.
There's several free ones, aioe.org and eternal-september.org. Go to the
websites and see how to configure the reader to use them.

suzeeq April 30th 10 07:29 PM

I WAS WONDERING...

Olwyn.Mary wrote:
LindaLee wrote:

LindaLee wrote:

[...]

That's what I use, mostly eternal-september with nntp.aioe.org as a back
up. They filter out the junk on most of my groups. Some of the groups
just get an inordinate amount of spam that the filters are slow to
catch, but for most groups nearly all of it is filtered out.

[email protected] May 1st 10 02:56 PM

I WAS WONDERING...

On Apr 30, 2:29*pm, suzeeq wrote:
Olwyn.Mary wrote:
LindaLee wrote:

LindaLee wrote:

[...]

catch, but for most groups nearly all of it is filtered out.- Hide quoted text -

I will take my time and look at all the input you gave me. Thank you!