CraftBanter

-   Sewing (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   "Sweater pic" -- where can I find one? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=37996)

Carolyn October 17th 04 12:19 PM

"Sweater pic" -- where can I find one?

I used to have a small tool which I was told was called a "sweater
pic". When you would get a "pull" in your sweater (for example, your
cat grabbed it and a piece of the weave was pulled into an extending
loop), you could insert this instrument from inside the sweater and
draw the "pull" into the inside of the sweater so that it didn't show.
It was very small (not wider than a sewing needle with a little loop
at the end, and a small handle like a little screw-driver) so that it
could even be used on jerseys. I've searched all over the 'net and
can't find one. Does anyone know how I can get one?

Thanks!

Carolyn

Barbara Raper October 17th 04 01:42 PM

I use a small crochet hook to pull the loop to the inside. I have heard of
what you are talking about but have not seen one.
HTH Barbara in FL

Sally Holmes October 17th 04 05:24 PM

Carolyn wrote:
I used to have a small tool which I was told was called a "sweater
pic". When you would get a "pull" in your sweater (for example, your
cat grabbed it and a piece of the weave was pulled into an extending
loop), you could insert this instrument from inside the sweater and
draw the "pull" into the inside of the sweater so that it didn't show.

It's a Knit-Picker. Also very good for pulling the chained-off end of
overlocking back into the seam to secure it. I wish they made a bigger one
to pick up dropped stitches in my knitting.

http://www.acmenotions.com/knitpicker.html or
http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase...ITEM_NUM=26615

HTH

Sally

Olwynmary October 17th 04 06:09 PM

It's a Knit-Picker.

I wish they made a bigger one to pick up dropped stitches in my knitting.

I just use a crochet hook of the appropriate size for the gauge of my knitting.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Pogonip October 17th 04 08:06 PM

Sally Holmes wrote:

Carolyn wrote:

I used to have a small tool which I was told was called a "sweater
pic". When you would get a "pull" in your sweater (for example, your
cat grabbed it and a piece of the weave was pulled into an extending
loop), you could insert this instrument from inside the sweater and
draw the "pull" into the inside of the sweater so that it didn't show.

It's a Knit-Picker. Also very good for pulling the chained-off end of
overlocking back into the seam to secure it. I wish they made a bigger one
to pick up dropped stitches in my knitting.

http://www.acmenotions.com/knitpicker.html or
http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase...ITEM_NUM=26615

HTH

Sally

A small latch hook, or check with a knitting machine
seller -- they come with nice little handles.
Try here if nowhere closer to you.
http://www.hi-tekdemo.co.uk/bsk/KMAccessories.asp
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Bonnie October 18th 04 06:01 PM

Carolyn wrote:
I used to have a small tool which I was told was called a "sweater
pic". Does anyone know how I can get one?

You can use a needle threader instead. Simply insert the
threader near the pull and draw it through to the other side
of the fabric.

--
Bonnie
NJ

[email protected] October 18th 04 09:08 PM

"Sweater pic" -- where can I find one?

(Carolyn)
I used to have a small tool which I was told was called a "sweater pic".
snip
Does anyone know how I can get one?
---
Fond as I am of gadgets, this one seems a bit ridiculous. I have a
bunch of crochet hooks which do the same job well.
Cea

Jenn Ridley October 18th 04 09:43 PM

wrote:

"Sweater pic" -- where can I find one?

(Carolyn)
I used to have a small tool which I was told was called a "sweater pic".
snip
Does anyone know how I can get one?
---
Fond as I am of gadgets, this one seems a bit ridiculous. I have a
bunch of crochet hooks which do the same job well.

But if you don't *have* any other need for a crochet hook, a sweater
pick (often called a 'knit picker') is useful. It's also something
that can be kept in the bedroom/bathroom/dressing room, rather than in
the sewing room. A sweater pick is also easier to use than a crochet
hook, because it won't catch on the other loops of the knit while
you're pulling the snag back through.

My mom kept the sweater pick in the utility drawer in the kitchen.
Everybody knew where it was, and was able to get it out, use it, and
put it away without going into her workroom to find a small crochet
hook.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :

Donna Gennick October 19th 04 02:07 AM

On 17 Oct 2004 04:19:35 -0700, (Carolyn) wrote:

I used to have a small tool which I was told was called a "sweater
pic". I've searched all over the 'net and
can't find one. Does anyone know how I can get one?

Carolyn

I've searched a long time for one of these, too. Had an old one for
many years, which finally boke. Anyway, just a couple of months ago,
I found one for sale in a little quilt shop about an hour and half
from my home. It's called a "Knit Picker", and it's made by
Prym-Dritz. Has a blue plastic handle, with a clear plastic cap.
Looks a lot like their seam rippers, when the cap is on, but inside is
the tiny latch hook that you are looking for. Only cost a dollar or
two, I don't remember for sure.

I just did a Google search for "Knit Picker" and Dritz, and here is
the link I found:

http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase...ITEM_NUM=26615

I'm not sure if this site actually sells things, or if you have to
find a retailer in your area, but at least this will give you the
product number and information that you can take to your local store
and ask them to order it.

Donna G.
Michigan's Upper Peninsula