CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Floss scraps for birds? Don't do it ... (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=140027)

Tess March 4th 17 05:44 PM

Floss scraps for birds? Don't do it ...

I recall reading many years ago on rctn about leaving floss scraps out for birds. Always intended to, but, you know, intentions ...

Today I read this: http://www.goodknitkisses.com/psa-da...aps-for-birds/

Perhaps it's been discussed over the years, but I found this quite helpful.

Stitch on!

Violet Stitches March 5th 17 03:37 PM

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-6, Tess wrote:
I recall reading many years ago on rctn about leaving floss scraps out for birds. Always intended to, but, you know, intentions ...

Today I read this: http://www.goodknitkisses.com/psa-da...aps-for-birds/

Perhaps it's been discussed over the years, but I found this quite helpful.

Stitch on!

Interesting...I had no idea these things could kill birds. I haven't yet left my fiber scraps out for birds but I was considering doing exactly that this spring. Now I know better. Thanks!

Joan Erickson March 10th 17 06:31 PM

On 3/5/2017 8:37 AM, Violet Stitches wrote:
On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-6, Tess wrote:

Interesting...I had no idea these things could kill birds. I
haven't yet left my fiber scraps out for birds but I was
considering doing exactly that this spring. Now I know better. Thanks!

As long as they're natural fibers (hair, wool, cotton), it's okay. It's
the synthetic stuff that's bad.

HTH!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Tess March 10th 17 08:22 PM

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 12:31:25 PM UTC-5, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 3/5/2017 8:37 AM, Violet Stitches wrote:
On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 10:44:36 AM UTC-6, Tess wrote:

Interesting...I had no idea these things could kill birds. I
haven't yet left my fiber scraps out for birds but I was
considering doing exactly that this spring. Now I know better. Thanks!

As long as they're natural fibers (hair, wool, cotton), it's okay. It's
the synthetic stuff that's bad.

HTH!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Joan, did you read the article?

I'm no expert, but it wasn't an issue of the content of the fibers, but rather their ability to wrap around wings, legs, etc. and block circulation. It specifically mentioned hair.

Joan Erickson March 13th 17 04:36 PM

On 3/10/2017 1:22 PM, Tess wrote:

Joan, did you read the article?

I'm no expert, but it wasn't an issue of the content of the
fibers, but rather their ability to wrap around wings, legs,
etc. and block circulation. It specifically mentioned hair.

Yes, I read it. Natural ones are in the suggested materials you *can* use:
"If you want to have nesting materials in your yard, we suggest
purchasing pre-made nesting material or use these natural alternatives.

snip
Natural fibers – such as cotton, wool, jute, and burlap – make perfect
bird nesting materials.
snip
Animal Hair: If you brush or clip your animals, save the fur! It makes a
wonderfully soft lining for bird nests.

I agree with the human hair, though (thinking of my own 18" long
tresses!). I have seen horse hair in nests around our place and I don't
know how one would stop them from using that.

Liz from Humbug[_3_] March 15th 17 02:11 AM

Floss scraps for birds? Don't do it ...

My stitching buddy has four horses (well, three horses & a mule) and she finds nests every year made primarily of horse hair and baling twine. The birds comeback every year and they seem to have lots of babies. She puts the embroidery fibers out, too, but cuts them in short enough lengths to not get tangled and twisted.

Liz from Humbug