CraftBanter

-   Glass (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Glass cutting lubricant (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=11613)

Charles A. Peavey November 1st 03 02:24 AM

Glass cutting lubricant

Greetings:

What is the consensus on glass cutting fluid. Turpentine, kerosene, or some
of the specialty odorless fluids available on the market? Thanks.

Best regards,
Charles

Beads1947 November 1st 03 06:25 PM

Definitely odorless cutting oil!!!
Patti

jk November 1st 03 10:10 PM

"Charles A. Peavey" wrote in message
Greetings:

What is the consensus on glass cutting fluid. Turpentine, kerosene, or

some
of the specialty odorless fluids available on the market? Thanks.

Best regards,
Charles

Why not use the fake colorless, oderless stuff? It works fine, is fairly
cheap, and doesn't mess up anyones skin or nasal passages.

--
JK Sinrod NY
Sinrod Stained Glass

Charles A. Peavey November 2nd 03 01:15 AM

Just asking: the other day someone remarked that the fake, odorless,
colorless stuff was sissy crap and that "real" glass cutters used
turpentine, kerosene, diesel etc, etc. I was just curious. Thanks.

Charles
et...

Mike Figgy November 2nd 03 01:31 AM

I've written a tech sheet on the pros and cons of cutter lubes that is free
for download at our website that some might find helpful.
Mikey

--
Fantasy In Glass Glassworks- www.fantasyinglass.com
Canada's first and still only officially sanctioned stained glass supplier
"Charles A. Peavey" wrote in message
Just asking: the other day someone remarked that the fake, odorless,
colorless stuff was sissy crap and that "real" glass cutters used
turpentine, kerosene, diesel etc, etc. I was just curious. Thanks.

Charles
et...

Bryan November 2nd 03 08:36 PM

I like the commercial fluids....they don't smell nasty, they're not
flammible, they seem to lubricate well enough, and they clean up with
soap and water.....

Bryan "just my limited experience" Paschke

nJb November 3rd 03 04:31 AM

Mike Figgy wrote:

I've written a tech sheet on the pros and cons of cutter lubes that is free
for download at our website that some might find helpful.
Mikey

--
Fantasy In Glass Glassworks- www.fantasyinglass.com
Canada's first and still only officially sanctioned stained glass supplier
703 The Queensway, Toronto, CANADA M8Y 1L2
Tel:416-252-6868/Toll free:1-800-841-5758

Haven't we been down this road before? What is an "officially
sanctioned" stained glass supplier and who does the sanctioning? It's
just driving me nuts.

Is it something like "America's Best Chew" on every package of Red Man
Chewing Tobacco?

--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/

Moonraker November 3rd 03 04:48 AM

"nJb" wrote in message

Mike Figgy wrote:
Canada's first and still only officially sanctioned stained glass

supplier

Haven't we been down this road before? What is an "officially
sanctioned" stained glass supplier and who does the sanctioning? It's
just driving me nuts.

Sanctions could "also" mean penalties, as in Figgy is on the run from the
Mounties?

nJb November 3rd 03 07:49 AM

Moonraker wrote:

"nJb" wrote in message

Mike Figgy wrote:
Canada's first and still only officially sanctioned stained glass

supplier

Haven't we been down this road before? What is an "officially
sanctioned" stained glass supplier and who does the sanctioning? It's
just driving me nuts.

Sanctions could "also" mean penalties, as in Figgy is on the run from the
Mounties?

Hadn't even considered that definition. "We're the bad guys and proud of
it."

suzilem November 3rd 03 11:22 AM

"nJb" wrote in message
Mike Figgy wrote:

I've written a tech sheet on the pros and cons of cutter lubes that is

free
for download at our website that some might find helpful.
Mikey

--
Fantasy In Glass Glassworks- www.fantasyinglass.com
Canada's first and still only officially sanctioned stained glass

supplier
703 The Queensway, Toronto, CANADA M8Y 1L2
Tel:416-252-6868/Toll free:1-800-841-5758

Haven't we been down this road before? What is an "officially
sanctioned" stained glass supplier and who does the sanctioning? It's
just driving me nuts.

Is it something like "America's Best Chew" on every package of Red Man
Chewing Tobacco?

Perhaps it's something related to ISO-9000? There are 70 companies who
produce glass listed as meeting those requirements for ISO-9000
sanctioning/certification in Canada (according to the ISO-9000 website).
http://www.whosregistered.com/iso/cb_info/MainPage.html