CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Prayer Shawls (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=73338)

Linda [email protected] July 30th 06 03:24 AM

Prayer Shawls

Hello all...

I bought some LionBrand Homespun to make a Prayer Shawl. When I
looked at the pattern on the LionBrand site, it says to use a 6 mm
needle, but the pattern on the Prayer Shawl minisry site says an 8 or
9 mm needle. What do most of you use? I thought the 8 or 9's would
be kind of big, and would make the stitches pretty loose, so a ring
would catch. What are your thoughts?

thanks...Linda

Olwyn Mary July 30th 06 04:43 AM

Prayer Shawls

Linda wrote:
Hello all...

I bought some LionBrand Homespun to make a Prayer Shawl. When I
looked at the pattern on the LionBrand site, it says to use a 6 mm
needle, but the pattern on the Prayer Shawl minisry site says an 8 or
9 mm needle. What do most of you use? I thought the 8 or 9's would
be kind of big, and would make the stitches pretty loose, so a ring
would catch. What are your thoughts?

thanks...Linda

My mantra is................."Make a swatch....make a swatch..... make a
swatch..makeaswatch makeaswatch makeaswatch"

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

suzee July 30th 06 01:04 PM

Prayer Shawls

Linda wrote:
Linda
wrote:
Hello all...

I bought some LionBrand Homespun to make a Prayer Shawl. When I
looked at the pattern on the LionBrand site, it says to use a 6 mm
needle, but the pattern on the Prayer Shawl minisry site says an 8 or
9 mm needle. What do most of you use? I thought the 8 or 9's would
be kind of big, and would make the stitches pretty loose, so a ring
would catch. What are your thoughts?

thanks...Linda

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:43:19 -0500, Olwyn Mary
wrote:
My mantra is................."Make a swatch....make a swatch..... make a
swatch..makeaswatch makeaswatch makeaswatch"

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

ROTFLOL!!! Yeah, yeah, I know....(giggle) Just wondered what others
prefer :)

I prefer using larger needles myself and have used Homespun on 8mm,
though it wasn't a prayer shawl. Do you have a 7mm? You could knit a
piece starting out with the 6s for a few inches, use 7s for a few more
inches, then the 8s and compare and see which you like better.

sue

Olwyn Mary July 30th 06 04:44 PM

Prayer Shawls

suzee wrote:

I prefer using larger needles myself and have used Homespun on 8mm,
though it wasn't a prayer shawl. Do you have a 7mm? You could knit a
piece starting out with the 6s for a few inches, use 7s for a few more
inches, then the 8s and compare and see which you like better.

sue

I always make swatches BECAUSE....... I usually find that I need to use
needles two sizes smaller than the pattern calls for in order to get the
correct gauge. By the same token, I have one good friend who needs to
use larger needles to get the gauge right! We are all individuals,
there is no such thing as an "average" person.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

suzee July 30th 06 05:13 PM

Prayer Shawls

Olwyn Mary wrote:
suzee wrote:

I prefer using larger needles myself and have used Homespun on 8mm,
though it wasn't a prayer shawl. Do you have a 7mm? You could knit a
piece starting out with the 6s for a few inches, use 7s for a few more
inches, then the 8s and compare and see which you like better.

sue

I always make swatches BECAUSE....... I usually find that I need to use
needles two sizes smaller than the pattern calls for in order to get the
correct gauge. By the same token, I have one good friend who needs to
use larger needles to get the gauge right! We are all individuals,
there is no such thing as an "average" person.

Yes, so I tell people that they need to try out different sizes to see
what looks good for them.

sue

July 30th 06 07:10 PM

Prayer Shawls

Wisdom of the ages!

The great question is what is the smallest swatch that is useful? Do you
do a bunch of tiny swatches to look for hints of where you want to go, or do
you start off with larger swatches that will give more accurate pattern
information?

Aaron

Moon Shyne July 30th 06 08:04 PM

Prayer Shawls

wrote in message
om...
Wisdom of the ages!

The great question is what is the smallest swatch that is useful? Do you
do a bunch of tiny swatches to look for hints of where you want to go, or
do
you start off with larger swatches that will give more accurate pattern
information?

Most swatches are measured for a 4" x 4" square - and this is generally a
good size to measure not only the gauge, but to see how your pattern works
up - at least, that's what my daughter says - she's the knitter

:-)

Moon

Aaron

suzee July 30th 06 08:46 PM

Prayer Shawls

Moon Shyne wrote:
wrote in message
om...
Wisdom of the ages!

The great question is what is the smallest swatch that is useful? Do you
do a bunch of tiny swatches to look for hints of where you want to go, or
do
you start off with larger swatches that will give more accurate pattern
information?

Most swatches are measured for a 4" x 4" square - and this is generally a
good size to measure not only the gauge, but to see how your pattern works
up - at least, that's what my daughter says - she's the knitter

I've heard it's a good idea to make the swatches 6x6 in order to measure
the 4 inches accurately. The side stitches don't measure the same as the
ones in the middle.

sue

Linda [email protected] July 31st 06 07:18 AM

Prayer Shawls

suzee wrote:

I prefer using larger needles myself and have used Homespun on 8mm,
though it wasn't a prayer shawl. Do you have a 7mm? You could knit a
piece starting out with the 6s for a few inches, use 7s for a few more
inches, then the 8s and compare and see which you like better.

sue

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 10:44:18 -0500, Olwyn Mary
wrote:
I always make swatches BECAUSE....... I usually find that I need to use
needles two sizes smaller than the pattern calls for in order to get the
correct gauge. By the same token, I have one good friend who needs to
use larger needles to get the gauge right! We are all individuals,
there is no such thing as an "average" person.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

I understand the concern about the correct gauge, but when knitting a
shawl or afghan IMHO gauge really doesn't matter too much. I have had
the experience of going up a size to make the item have a softer hand,
but other than that the size didn't matter too much.

I am just curious as to why the exact same pattern knit with the same
yarn would state 6 mm needles on one site, and 8 mm on another. I can
see a difference of one size, but 6 to 8's is a pretty big jump.

....Linda

suzee July 31st 06 12:17 PM

Prayer Shawls

Linda wrote:

I understand the concern about the correct gauge, but when knitting a
shawl or afghan IMHO gauge really doesn't matter too much. I have had
the experience of going up a size to make the item have a softer hand,
but other than that the size didn't matter too much.

I am just curious as to why the exact same pattern knit with the same
yarn would state 6 mm needles on one site, and 8 mm on another. I can
see a difference of one size, but 6 to 8's is a pretty big jump.

I believe the pattern was one size, but the gauge listed on the yarn
label was the other size. This is pretty typical, I usually see
different size needles used for a pattern than is on the label.

sue