CraftBanter

-   Sewing (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Replace elastic around top of sock? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=100614)

ascus.lsil January 26th 09 03:12 AM

Replace elastic around top of sock?

Does anyone know how to replace the elastic around the top of a sock?
I have a bag full of socks that don't stay up any more but are
perfectly fine.
Thanks.

JOhn

BEI Design January 26th 09 03:35 AM

ascus.lsil wrote:
Does anyone know how to replace the elastic around the
top of a sock? I have a bag full of socks that don't stay
up any more but are perfectly fine.
Thanks.

JOhn

If they are white or black, you can use a hand sewing needle
and hand weave several rows of this (or similar elastic
thread) around the tops:
http://www.createforless.com/Rhode+I.../plid1517.aspx

You'll have to secure the start and stop points, and may
find that uncomfortable, but it's about the only way I know
to re-elasticize sox tops.

HTH, NAYY,

Beverly.

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) January 26th 09 04:56 AM

ascus.lsil wrote:
Does anyone know how to replace the elastic around the top of a sock?
I have a bag full of socks that don't stay up any more but are
perfectly fine.
Thanks.

JOhn

How about this rather quaint, old-fashioned item?
http://www.annabelchaffer.co.uk/products/gents_grooming/product_pages/sock-suspenders.htm
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK

ascus.lsil January 26th 09 05:46 AM

Replace elastic around top of sock?

thread) around the tops:http://www.createforless.com/Rhode+I...d+Package/plid...

You'll have to secure the start and stop points, and may
find that uncomfortable, but it's about the only way I know
to re-elasticize sox tops.

Thank you!
I will try that since I have darning needles that should work just
right, and I especially like the "Rhode Island" in the item name,
since I used to live there.

John

ascus.lsil January 26th 09 05:47 AM

Replace elastic around top of sock?

On Jan 25, 7:56*pm, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"
wrote:
ascus.lsil wrote:
Does anyone know how to replace the elastic around the top of a sock?
I have a bag full of socks that don't stay up any more but are
perfectly fine.
Thanks.

JOhn

How about this rather quaint, old-fashioned item?
http://www.annabelchaffer.co.uk/products/gents_grooming/product_pages...
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
http://claremont.island-blogging.co.uk
"Never ask a man if he is from Yorkshire. If he is he will surely tell
you. If he's not, why embarrass him?"

Quaint is quite correct. I think I'll try the elastic thread idea
first, although now I am curious to visit Yorkshire.

John

BEI Design January 26th 09 08:53 AM

ascus.lsil wrote:
Does anyone know how to replace the elastic around the
top of a sock? I have a bag full of socks that don't
stay up any more
but are perfectly fine.
Thanks.

JOhn

How about this rather quaint, old-fashioned item?
http://www.annabelchaffer.co.uk/products/gents_grooming/product_pages/sock-suspenders.htm

OMG! My father wore those for years! I had forgotten all
about them.

Beverly

Pogonip[_2_] January 26th 09 10:18 PM

Replace elastic around top of sock?

Joy Beeson wrote:
Back in the sixties, when knee socks were all the rage, I held them up
by folding the top down over a rubber band.

Joy Beeson

Back in the 40s and 50s, probably before elastic was common in socks, we
used library paste to keep our socks up. Yup. Just plain old white
paste, glued our socks to our legs. Hard to believe......but we did it.
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com

Joy Beeson January 26th 09 10:35 PM

Replace elastic around top of sock?

Back in the sixties, when knee socks were all the rage, I held them up
by folding the top down over a rubber band.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing