CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   meeting an old sweater (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=106540)

mirjam December 13th 09 08:39 PM

meeting an old sweater

Before my late mother died , about 18 years ago she knitted a friend
of her`s a sweater , about 2 years ago i met the sweater = i mean i
met a woman , who wore that sweater , but she wasn`t my mother` s
friend .. but her family name was the same. It turned out she was the
daughter in law of my mother friend who also dies by that time.
Last week i met the sweater again , this time a young unknown woman
was wearing it ... i probed and yes she was the great daughter of the
woman who recieved it ..
I thought how nice it was the sweater still warms people so many years
after my mother died,
mirjam

news.optonline.net December 13th 09 10:36 PM

meeting an old sweater

What a wonderful story! Yes, it is nice that the sweater warms so many
people, and it is also nice of you to share the story with us.
Lisa in NJ

SpikeDriver December 14th 09 02:28 AM

meeting an old sweater

Mirjam,

Thanks for sharing that with us.

So many people have asked, "Why do you take so long to knit something
that takes so long, when you can go to the store and get it in a couple
of minutes".

Your story gives on of the many reasons why we all love to spend our
time at one of our great hobbies.

Thanks for sharing such a great experience that we can easily understand
as fiber artist.

Dennis

On 12/13/2009 2:39 PM, mirjam wrote:
Before my late mother died , about 18 years ago she knitted a friend
of her`s a sweater , about 2 years ago i met the sweater = i mean i
met a woman , who wore that sweater , but she wasn`t my mother` s
friend .. but her family name was the same. It turned out she was the
daughter in law of my mother friend who also dies by that time.
Last week i met the sweater again , this time a young unknown woman
was wearing it ... i probed and yes she was the great daughter of the
woman who recieved it ..
I thought how nice it was the sweater still warms people so many years
after my mother died,
mirjam

Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply[_2_] December 14th 09 02:38 AM

meeting an old sweater

Spikedriver wrote:

So many people have asked, "Why do you take so long to knit something
that takes so long, when you can go to the store and get it in a couple
of minutes".

You know, people ask me that about sewing all the time, and I have to
tell them that when I make it, it is the right style, the right shape to
fit me perfectly, the right color (and us earth-tone lovers can have a
hard time finding things sometimes), the right fiber content and
therefore the right garment care, etc., and that's something that I can
never just walk in a store and pick up in a couple of minutes.

Mary December 14th 09 03:45 AM

meeting an old sweater

So many people have asked, "Why do you take so long to knit something
that takes so long, when you can go to the store and get it in a couple
of minutes".

For me, there has always been the issue of fit, materials, and
design. I can make a sweater that I could never afford to purchase if
I could find it! When I was working I was in a job in which the
normal clothing worn was nice slacks and sweaters, so being a knitter
was great! I always had slacks in black, navy, grey, chocolate brown,
and beige, and a variety of sweaters I designed and made.

SpikeDriver December 15th 09 01:34 AM

meeting an old sweater

On 12/13/2009 8:38 PM, Samatha Hill -- take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Spikedriver wrote:

So many people have asked, "Why do you take so long to knit something
that takes so long, when you can go to the store and get it in a
couple of minutes".

You know, people ask me that about sewing all the time, and I have to
tell them that when I make it, it is the right style, the right shape to
fit me perfectly, the right color (and us earth-tone lovers can have a
hard time finding things sometimes), the right fiber content and
therefore the right garment care, etc., and that's something that I can
never just walk in a store and pick up in a couple of minutes.

So true, so true. I could not have said it better.
Dennis

SpikeDriver December 15th 09 01:36 AM

meeting an old sweater

On 12/13/2009 9:45 PM, Mary wrote:

So many people have asked, "Why do you take so long to knit something
that takes so long, when you can go to the store and get it in a couple
of minutes".

For me, there has always been the issue of fit, materials, and
design. I can make a sweater that I could never afford to purchase if
I could find it! When I was working I was in a job in which the
normal clothing worn was nice slacks and sweaters, so being a knitter
was great! I always had slacks in black, navy, grey, chocolate brown,
and beige, and a variety of sweaters I designed and made.

You are so right, well said again.

Dennis