CraftBanter

-   -   today's challenge (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=120729)

Karen Tucker May 23rd 11 04:19 PM

today's challenge

Today's challenge is piecing batting. I've never done very much of it
before, but - here goes.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Marilyn Goodwin May 24th 11 12:29 AM

today's challenge

There is a heat tape out there that you can use. Cut the length you
need, put the two pieces next to each other lying flat and then iron
it on. Need to be careful on the type of batting you are using...it
might melt.

Marilyn

Trixie[_2_] May 24th 11 03:41 AM

today's challenge

I butt the two pieces of batting and zig zag stitch them together by
machine. It only takes a few minutes and the results are excellent! This tip
really improved my experience, as I used to hand whip-stitch the pieces
together, which took a long time and the results were not nearly so nice.

Trixie

Polly Esther[_5_] May 24th 11 04:23 AM

today's challenge

If you happen to have one, I found that the gathering foot (no kidding)
works well for this. The silly-looking thing has an absolutely flat foot
and won't get involved in the fluff of batting. Polly

"Trixie" wrote I butt the two pieces of batting and zig zag stitch them
together by
machine. It only takes a few minutes and the results are excellent! This
tip really improved my experience, as I used to hand whip-stitch the
pieces together, which took a long time and the results were not nearly so
nice.

"Karen Tucker" Today's challenge is piecing batting. I've never done
very much of it
before, but - here goes.

Roberta[_3_] May 24th 11 03:10 PM

today's challenge

I do the same, but with a 3-stitch zigzag. and if you want a really
smooth join, sometimes it's worth laying the 2 pieces next to each
other on your cutting table, edges overlapping just a bit. then cut
through the overlap. Makes the "bumps" match up.
Roberta in D

Taria May 24th 11 03:27 PM

today's challenge

I use the multi step zz too. I also cut them together but you have to watch
for stretching or you lose that line easily. I saw the fusible stuff and I
wondered
too if the knit interfacing is the same and would do the job as well? I
think
poly would just melt but cotton would be good.
Taria

AllisonH May 24th 11 03:42 PM

today's challenge

Me three! I was surprised at how much better the multistep zigzag
worked than a regular zigzag. I haven't done big pieces but smaller
pieces went together easily.
Allison

Karen Tucker May 24th 11 05:37 PM

today's challenge

I squared up the pcs. and fit them all into the backing stuck up on the
design wall. Then I zig-zagged them together side by side like a jigsaw
puzzle. It worked a treat! The baby quilt is almost basted now. : )

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Pati, in Phx May 24th 11 08:29 PM

today's challenge

Actually the fusible batting joining tape is a low temp fusible (much
like very lightweight knit interfacing). So it can be used on
polyester and blended batting.
Works really well too.

Pati, in Phx