CraftBanter

-   -   Sewing Machines (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=48792)

Christina in Ok April 22nd 05 07:51 AM

Sewing Machines

I was wondering if they make a new sewing machine.. that doesn't run on
elect?

--
Christina Hilburn
Web Site: http://gardenbreeze.us

Leigh Harris April 22nd 05 09:56 AM

"Christina in Ok" wrote
I was wondering if they make a new sewing machine.. that doesn't run on
elect?

I believe Janome makes new treadle machines, with the Amish community in
mind. They might have info on their website.
--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

the black rose April 22nd 05 02:29 PM

Christina in Ok wrote:
I was wondering if they make a new sewing machine.. that doesn't run on
elect?

Try Lehman's, they cater to the Amish.

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=2887

(I hope that link works, if not, go to www.lehmans.com and type sewing
into the search box.)

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

Kate Dicey April 22nd 05 04:48 PM

Christina in Ok wrote:

I was wondering if they make a new sewing machine.. that doesn't run on
elect?

Yes: there are Chinese made Singer 15 clones, but by all reports for the
Treadle On community, they are not as good as the originals. If you
really want a People Powered machine, try looking for a used one from
pre-1960.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

the black rose April 23rd 05 12:09 AM

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
Oh - isn't she beautiful? I want one.

I had a treadle once, a 1923 Singer. Straight stitch only, didn't even
backstitch. I gave it to someone who loved antiques, did a lot of
sewing, and lives on a non-electric farm.

I still love treadles, and I'd love to get one, but I probably shouldn't
since I threatened my husband with dire bodily harm if he brings one
more piece of furniture into our rather crowded little house. *giggle*

Kate Dicey April 23rd 05 11:04 PM

Leigh Harris wrote:

"Christina in Ok" wrote

I was wondering if they make a new sewing machine.. that doesn't run on
elect?

I believe Janome makes new treadle machines, with the Amish community in
mind. They might have info on their website.

Dick Whightman of Treadle On did a review of one. Worth looking up...