CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=76841)

DAB October 25th 06 11:50 PM

Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn

The gauge is listed as 2 sts per inch on US 15 needles....so is it Chunky
or Bulky? Also I have been looking for a hat pattern to use with it....just
a simple rib 2x2 with SS for the top part and so far all I can find are for
baby yarns or worsted weight yarn. I want to knit the hats in the round. I
have 10 skeins in 2 different prints and want to make the hats for Christmas
gifts.

TIA for any suggestionsG

Donna

WoolyGooly October 26th 06 12:19 AM

Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn

Super-bulky.

So knit hats in the round. You know how big you want the hat to be -
do some simple math and cast on for a hat.

DAB October 26th 06 02:19 AM

Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn

Ok I want to do a test hat for me.....my head is 22 inches so I multiply 2
sts per inch and get 44 sts so that is my cast on number? If my knitting
gauge is the same.

Donna

WoolyGooly October 26th 06 03:11 AM

Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn

Correct.

WoolyGooly October 26th 06 03:14 AM

Question about Plymouth Yukon Print Yarn

Although...most people make caps 10-15% smaller to account for the
fact that knitting stretches...

DAB October 26th 06 04:37 AM

WoolyGooly wrote:
Although...most people make caps 10-15% smaller to account for the
fact that knitting stretches...

Ok that's why I am doing a test hat for me firstG BTW I am very Math
Impaired.

Alison October 27th 06 03:17 AM

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 03:37:30 GMT, "DAB" wrote:

WoolyGooly wrote:
Although...most people make caps 10-15% smaller to account for the
fact that knitting stretches...

Ok that's why I am doing a test hat for me firstG BTW I am very Math
Impaired.

yes, do make the hat a bit smaller than the head measurement or else
it won't fit nice and snug around your ears. I did this (made it too
big) but fortunately it felted right down.

Alison

DAB October 27th 06 12:05 PM

WoolyGooly wrote:
Although...most people make caps 10-15% smaller to account for the
fact that knitting stretches...

Ok that's why I am doing a test hat for me firstG BTW I am very
Math Impaired.

yes, do make the hat a bit smaller than the head measurement or else
it won't fit nice and snug around your ears. I did this (made it too
big) but fortunately it felted right down.

Alison

Good point....my test swatch came out half a stitch too much so instead of 2
per inch I have 2 and half sts on the suggested size 13 needles....not sure
what to do about that.

Donna

Olwyn Mary October 27th 06 12:13 PM

DAB wrote:

Good point....my test swatch came out half a stitch too much so instead of 2
per inch I have 2 and half sts on the suggested size 13 needles....not sure
what to do about that.

Donna

Make another swatch usng smaller needles!!!! (and keep on swatching
until you get a result you like.)

Olwyn Mary n New Orleans.

DAB October 27th 06 12:37 PM

Olwyn Mary wrote:
DAB wrote:

Good point....my test swatch came out half a stitch too much so
instead of 2 per inch I have 2 and half sts on the suggested size 13
needles....not sure what to do about that.

Donna

Make another swatch usng smaller needles!!!! (and keep on swatching
until you get a result you like.)

Olwyn Mary n New Orleans.

Thanks Mary.....I tried 10 1/2 and that didn't work so will try to find 11's
I need 12's is my guess but have never seen that size.

Donna