CraftBanter

-   General Crafting (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Paper Boat (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=46293)

Beast March 10th 05 09:55 PM

Paper Boat

I have a project at school where we are given white glue and two
peices of paper. With these two materials we have to cunstruct a boat
that can hold as many marbles as possible. What would be the best
design?

Philip Lewis March 11th 05 01:24 AM

(Beast) writes:
I have a project at school where we are given white glue and two
peices of paper. With these two materials we have to cunstruct a boat
tht can hold as many marbles as possible.
What would be the best design?

why, the one which would hold the most marbles... of course.

honestly.... isn't figuring that out part of the fun?

The more water displaced by the boat, the more weight it can carry.
Think about shapes that displace most amount of water with the least
amount of surface area (material)

you also have to think about stability, if the design is such that the
lip dips under water, then any water which gets in is considered part
of the load it is carrying since it is no longer being displaced).
since you want to maximize the marble load, you want to keep that to a
minimum.

now... go fill a pan of water, and make a few prototype boats and watch what
happens when you fill them with marbles.

good luck.

--
be safe.
flip