CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Looking for a 12 Days of Christmas pattern (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=21588)

Meredith November 10th 03 10:20 PM

Looking for a 12 Days of Christmas pattern

My mom did this for her sister about 10 years ago and can't find the
pattern... I have no idea if it's a chart or from a magazine, either.
It was shaped like a Christmas tree, with the gold ring at the top, 2
turtle doves on the next line down, and so on. I couldn't find it in
the Hoffmandis catalog, or with a web search because I don't know the
designer.

Thanks!
Meredith

Dianne Lewandowski November 10th 03 11:35 PM

McCall's Needlework had this pattern waaaay back . . . if it's the one
you're describing. But I know there's a similar one because this
conversation came up a couple years ago.

I have the original McCall's one - never did it. The chart was so
terrible (I had to order it) that I recharted it in PatternMaker.

Dianne

NeedleworkNutz November 10th 03 11:39 PM

It was shaped like a Christmas tree, with the gold ring at the top, 2
turtle doves on the next line down, and so on.

There are many charts on that subject but my favorite is the one Donna
Vermillion Giampa did for Sudberry House. It is leaftlet #117.
Try this link and see if this is the one.
http://www.sudberry.com/gallery/designerd.htm

Skyhooks November 11th 03 12:17 AM

Hi Meredith,

Perhaps the chart you want is the "Cricket - Christmas in July"
booklet?? It's very simple and can be considered a beginner piece (?).
It's worked with cross-stitch only and stitched in bands with the
"characters" having a band/row of their own.

If the "partridge in a pear tree" is resting in a nest with two
different ribbons (blue & red) from the top of its head flowing down
partly on both sides of the "tree", and if the "two turtle doves" have a
heart between them, and if the "five golden rings" are interwoven with
laurels on either side, then this is definitely the chart. Also, if
there is a small basket inbetween the "six geese a'layin'," then it's a
clincher this is the chart. Then, there are two cows with the "eight
maids a'milkin'" sitting on stools.

The overall effect does indeed give the triangle shape of a Christmas
tree. The partridge is the apex, two turtle doves below the partridge,
followed by three french hens, four calling birds, etc. Each row is
centered . . . . .

X 1 partrige (band)
X X 2 turtle doves (band)
X X X 3 french hens (band)
X X X X 4 calling birds (band)
etc.

If this is the chart/booklet, then it's definitely "Cricket - Christmas
in July" which was published in 1984 and has 21 pages (not counting the
cover pages). The inside cover has the following information:

Cricket (tm)
Candace Rideout and Diane Ward
2814 Kentucky Avenue
Salt Lake City, Utah 84117
(801) 277-4111; 484-2689

I'm not sure the above information is still valid -- it's what's printed
inside the cover. It has been nearly 20 years since the chart I
describe above was published. Unfortunately, I bet this booklet is OOP
(?).

I believe there is another similar chart (but more detailed and not so
stylized) but I'm not too familiar with it because it wasn't to my taste
(style of stitching that is), IIRC. Sort of like the difference between
Alma Lynn & Theresa Wentzler -- two completely different styles.

HTH and Sweet Stitching!!!!!!!

Helen (Skyhooks)
hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

TFTD: Good things turn up when both corners of your mouth do the same!

Karen C - California November 11th 03 12:39 AM

Sounds like the one from New Stitches magazine.

www.newstitches.com
--
Finished 10/30/03 - Christmas candle mini
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html

Darla November 11th 03 03:21 AM

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:35:23 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

The chart was so
terrible (I had to order it) that I recharted it in PatternMaker.

I see I'm not the only one to do that!
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.

BDS2pds November 11th 03 10:23 PM

Yes McCalls for sure. It was called the McCall's Twelve Days of Christmas
pattern and perhaps McCalls can help you. It was done in 1981 by the McCall
Publishing Company

McCall's Needlework had this pattern waaaay back . . . if it's the one