CraftBanter

-   Pottery (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Has anyone used old washing machine wringers for clay slab rollers? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=139104)

Ginger January 25th 14 05:44 PM

Has anyone used old washing machine wringers for clay slab rollers?

As a beginning potter I am considering using an old washing machine wringer
for use in slab making.
Does anyone have any experience in this method?

Bob Masta[_2_] January 26th 14 02:42 PM

Has anyone used old washing machine wringers for clay slab rollers?

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:44:02 +0000, Ginger
m wrote:

As a beginning potter I am considering using an old washing machine wringer
for use in slab making.
Does anyone have any experience in this method?

Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen one of those!
(Also been a long time since there has been any activity in
this group... g)

My (dim) recollection is that the rollers are spring-loaded,
not a fixed distance apart. I'd think that would mean the
slab thickness would not be constant, due to vagaries in
clay density and the rate you fed it into the rollers. But
there's probably a way to replace the springs with some sort
of fixed spacers.

If not, you might still use the wringers for all but the
last pass, which would use tried-and-true "rolling pin over
two wooden spacer rails" method. (Which some of us use for
the whole process!)

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v7.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
FREE Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator
Science with your sound card!