CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Knitting bobbin stitch (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26365)

BDS2pds October 22nd 04 12:53 PM

Knitting bobbin stitch

Just how bad is this to do? I said I would never make these things cuz they
took too much time and now have a vest I want them in.

Caryn October 22nd 04 01:58 PM

Just how bad is this to do? I said I would never make these things cuz they
took too much time and now have a vest I want them in.

Bobbles are not difficult, you just knit back and forth across the same few
stitches several times before going the rest of the way across the row.

It's the turning it around and around and around that gets tiresome. And
that's really the problem, not difficulty, just how tiresome it gets.

HTH,

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)

Caryn October 22nd 04 02:39 PM

Just how bad is this to do? I said I would never make these things cuz they
took too much time and now have a vest I want them in.

Bobbles are not difficult, you just knit back and forth across the same few
stitches several times before going the rest of the way across the row.

It's the turning it around and around and around that gets tiresome. And
that's really the problem, not difficulty, just how tiresome it gets.

HTH,

Caryn

Oops....just reread and saw it said Bobbins not Bobbles! D'oh!!

Bobbins aren't hard either, if you are working with a lot of colors they are
actually a lot easier than working from skeins. They tangle a lot less, and
make intarsia easier to work, fewer holes where colors change because it's
easier to do the twist between colors.

I wouldn't do an argyle without them!

Ruthie October 25th 04 10:21 PM

Like Caryn, I'm confused as to whether you mean "knitting with bobbins"
or using bobble (aka popcorn) stitch.

Knitting bobbles - learn to knit backwards. Then you don't have to turn.
Works great for entrelac, too. It's not too hard, unless you are
completely right handed (or left handed). You just use the left needle
like the right one.

I.e. you knit the stitches onto the right needle as usual, then you do a
mirror image of your stitch back onto the left needle.

Clear as mud?

Ruthie
alowan'earthlink'net

--
ÐÏࡱá

Caryn October 26th 04 11:24 AM

Knitting bobbles - learn to knit backwards. Then you don't have to turn.
Works great for entrelac, too. It's not too hard, unless you are
completely right handed (or left handed). You just use the left needle
like the right one.

I never even considered this option....hmm.....

Maybe next time I do something with bobbles I'll give it a try.

Thanks Ruthie!