CraftBanter

-   Carving (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Why this newsgroup? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=126094)

Belinda Alene October 14th 11 08:15 PM

Why this newsgroup?

I am a beginner level hobby wood craver. I am interested in information on how
to cure wood from trees on my land. I wish to create jewelry boxes and
ornamental plaques using dogwood, hickory and oak. Any one out there that could
offer useful information?

farooq341 November 5th 11 02:44 PM

Lil Abner July 29th 12 04:45 AM

Why this newsgroup?

On 10/14/2011 1:15 PM, Belinda Alene wrote:
I am a beginner level hobby wood craver. I am interested in information on how
to cure wood from trees on my land. I wish to create jewelry boxes and
ornamental plaques using dogwood, hickory and oak. Any one out there that could
offer useful information?

Depends on where you are and what woods you are talking about.
Generally seal the ends of the trees or whatever with wax or pruners
paint. Keep the wood off the ground and under cover, preferabally in a
building.
The longer and slower and cooler a log like Walnut cures the better with
less cracking and checking.
Uncles cured some woods that way for several years before working it but
outside under cover.
That's the limit of my experience.