CraftBanter

-   -   First Guild Meeting (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=58298)

Tricia October 12th 05 11:36 PM

First Guild Meeting

Well, I'm about to head off to my first ever in person guild meeting
and I have no idea what to expect so I'm nervous as all get out. Not
sure if I should be taking somethign to work on, so I am -- just in
case. Even though it is quite carppy it is something in progress (I've
been working on it for like 4 years off and on and not happy with it
but determined to finish it so it can finally go to who it is intended
for) and quite honestly, my only in progress item right now.

Okay, *deep breath* I'm going to try and get over my nerves about
meeting new people and just go....

Tricia

teleflora October 13th 05 12:02 AM

"Tricia" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, I'm about to head off to my first ever in person guild meeting
and I have no idea what to expect so I'm nervous as all get out. Not
sure if I should be taking something to work on, so I am -- just in
case. Even though it is quite carppy it is something in progress (I've
been working on it for like 4 years off and on and not happy with it
but determined to finish it so it can finally go to who it is intended
for) and quite honestly, my only in progress item right now.

Okay, *deep breath* I'm going to try and get over my nerves about
meeting new people and just go....

Tricia

I know how scary that can be. I hope you had a good time and that the
people were nice to you. The best way to meet people and to get involved
with the guild is to volunteer! Volunteer to be a Door Greeter, or to help
with the
quilt show or to help with programs. They will be putting together the
handbook for the next year. Offer to help.

I forced my way into the inner sanctum and now they love me.

Cindy

Tricia October 13th 05 02:20 AM

I went. I stabbed myself in the palm accidently. I liked this time's
speaker. Next month's speaker doesn't thrill me and then with the
holiday hoo-haa, I probably won't go back until January. Then I'll see
if I like it enough to officially join. I was the youngest person
there by at least a decade and in many cases by 2 (at least). Everyone
was nice if/when we spoke and while I originally wound up sitting
alone, when the sign in ladies were done, they came and sat with me and
I even got a little technique advice from one of them after she watched
me struggle with my pathetico project and attempt at hand quilting. Oh
well...if I like January, I'll most likely join. I'm at least psyched
enough to want to go play with my fabric stash now -- which is more
than I can say for 24 hours from now (I've been in a slump of sorts).

Tricia

Pauline October 13th 05 02:34 AM

I agree with Cindy about volunteering. For 2 reasons - you will get to know
other members quicker that way - & they always need volunteers & they are
always short. I joined my guild about 2 years ago & volunteered to open the
doors for the meetings & now I'm on the Board of Directors & I'm getting to
know people better, so it's definitely the way to go.

Pauline
ups.com...

KJ October 13th 05 03:26 AM

Enjoy yourself Tricia. It's not as much pressure as one might think. I
doubt many will be working on something, but you certainly won't be the
only one there with some hand work. Guilds get a lot of grief about not
being very friendly, but it takes a while to get to know new people. Some
of the gals only see each other at the meeting, so they tend to gravitate to
each other and not seek out new people. Don't give up! If there are any
committees or classes you can attend, I highly recommend it. You meet
people on a little different basis that way and it's a bit easier to make a
connection in that way. Have a great time...they are fortunate to have you!

ups.com...

KJ October 13th 05 03:35 AM

Yea for you! Even if the speakers aren't wonderful...there always seems to
be a lot of inspiration in the show and tell segment. Usually worth the
price of admission.

ups.com...

Patti October 13th 05 08:20 AM

Good for you, Tricia. Hope the adventure went well.
..
In message . com,
Tricia writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

DrQuilter October 14th 05 03:38 PM

did you like it
I did that on Tuesday, and it was fun, I will keep going. it is much
closer to the new house so I took the plunge.
lots of charity announcments, a looong line of people formed when it was
time for show and tell (some very nice quilts
the speaker was a bit dark, or at least her quilts were. jewish from
NYC, a lot of pattern from jewish cemetry grave rubbings, lists of girl
names killed in concentration camps, mostly hand dyed with brownish
tints. artistic but depressing if you know what I mean...

Tricia wrote:

Well, I'm about to head off to my first ever in person guild meeting
and I have no idea what to expect so I'm nervous as all get out. Not
sure if I should be taking somethign to work on, so I am -- just in
case. Even though it is quite carppy it is something in progress (I've
been working on it for like 4 years off and on and not happy with it
but determined to finish it so it can finally go to who it is intended
for) and quite honestly, my only in progress item right now.

Okay, *deep breath* I'm going to try and get over my nerves about
meeting new people and just go....

Tricia

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

A&T October 14th 05 06:48 PM

I remember feeling very uncomfortable at my first two or three guild
meetings.

I, too, was a least a decade younger than almost everyone there, but they
are really nice ladies and it just took time.

I jumped right in a went to a workshop, (which made friends quickly!) Now,
they miss me when I have to miss. And I rejoined for the second year back in
June.

Hang in there. I hope you grow to love it.

Tricia
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

ups.com...

srussell October 15th 05 11:32 PM

First Guild Meeting

I joined a local quilt guild just today. This is a group I have been
interested in for several years but for many reasons have just put it off.
Well today I did it, I am not getting any younger and there is so much I can
learn. They meet the 3rd Monday of each month. I can't wait. Wish me luck,
Sharyn

"Patti" wrote in message
Good for you, Tricia. Hope the adventure went well.
.
In message . com,
Tricia writes