CraftBanter

-   -   More OT Olympics (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=107572)

Maureen Wozniak February 15th 10 09:10 PM

More OT Olympics

Is anyone else having trouble getting used to the new figure skating scoring?

Maureen

Dragonfly[_2_] February 15th 10 10:32 PM

More OT Olympics

I'm annoyed at all the skate-holding (I think it looks ugly!), but haven't
really figured out what the other differences are in the scoring now.

Dragonfly

Donna in Idaho[_2_] February 16th 10 12:11 AM

More OT Olympics

Since I haven't heard anyone explain it - I have no idea what's going on,
how they arrive at the scores, or what the new scores mean!

Donna in SW idaho

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4869 (20100215) __________

http://www.eset.com

Jennifer in Ottawa February 16th 10 02:20 AM

More OT Olympics

http://figureskating.about.com/od/co.../officials.htm
This might help or confuse you further? I remember that the idea was
that no judge would know whose scores would be used in the outcome so
that bulking up marks or downgrading them wouldn't be an advantage to
his/her favourite skater/nation. It seems to be working.....jennellh

Donna in Idaho[_2_] February 16th 10 02:54 AM

More OT Olympics

Thanks for the link!

Donna in SW Idaho

database 4869 (20100215) __________

http://www.eset.com

Maureen Wozniak February 16th 10 01:54 PM

More OT Olympics

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:11:14 -0600, Donna in Idaho wrote
(in article ):

Since I haven't heard anyone explain it - I have no idea what's going on,
how they arrive at the scores, or what the new scores mean!

Donna in SW idaho

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message
Is anyone else having trouble getting used to the new figure skating
scoring?

Maureen

database 4869 (20100215) __________

http://www.eset.com

Exactly! I miss the predictably of the Russian judge always scoring the
US/Canada low and vice versa.

Maureen

Bonnie Patterson[_2_] February 16th 10 06:06 PM

More OT Olympics

Yes!

Donna in Idaho[_2_] February 18th 10 06:25 AM

More OT Olympics

I agree about the skate holding - not attractive at all.

It seemed to me like the pairs long program didn't have much individuality.
Their programs were so near the same, it was like watching the same thing
over and over, - with tricks in practically the same order - just in
different costumes.

I heard a brief mention that they're talking about revamping the scoring,
again, which would maybe make the programs better - I hope so!

Donna in SW Idaho

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4875 (20100217) __________

http://www.eset.com

Maureen Wozniak February 18th 10 01:58 PM

More OT Olympics

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:32:09 -0600, Dragonfly wrote
(in article ):

I'm annoyed at all the skate-holding (I think it looks ugly!), but haven't
really figured out what the other differences are in the scoring now.

Dragonfly

"

I completely agree! Just takes a very pretty move and turns it ugly as heck!

Maureen

Maureen Wozniak February 18th 10 01:59 PM

More OT Olympics

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:25:27 -0600, Donna in Idaho wrote
(in article ):
..

I heard a brief mention that they're talking about revamping the scoring,
again, which would maybe make the programs better - I hope so!

Donna in SW Idaho

I hope so!

Maureen