CraftBanter

-   Knots (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   TOT breaking string (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=104797)

housetrained September 2nd 09 10:18 AM

TOT breaking string

Hi,
Appreciating that this is not a knot question but hoping someone may help
me.
My late father worked with string and he showed me a way of wrapping it
round his hands and then pulling sharply would break the string. I was too
young to take it in but would love to be able to do it. If you know the
method please let me know.
TIA

--
John the West Ham fan

Elrond Hubbard September 2nd 09 01:05 PM

TOT breaking string

"housetrained" wrote in
:

Hi,
Appreciating that this is not a knot question but hoping someone may
help me.
My late father worked with string and he showed me a way of wrapping
it round his hands and then pulling sharply would break the string. I
was too young to take it in but would love to be able to do it. If you
know the method please let me know.
TIA

Go to the library - The Ashley Book of Knots, page 30. I'd give a verbal
description but you might lose a finger if it isn't clear.

EH

MCC[_4_] September 2nd 09 01:25 PM

TOT breaking string

housetrained wrote:
Hi,
Appreciating that this is not a knot question but hoping someone may help
me.
My late father worked with string and he showed me a way of wrapping it
round his hands and then pulling sharply would break the string. I was too
young to take it in but would love to be able to do it. If you know the
method please let me know.
TIA

This method works for me:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/932967...ur_bare_hands/

I wouldn't like to try it with man-made cord though.
--
MCC
02/09/2009 13:25:37

housetrained September 2nd 09 01:54 PM

TOT breaking string

"MCC" wrote in message
.. .
housetrained wrote:
Hi,
Appreciating that this is not a knot question but hoping someone may help
me.
My late father worked with string and he showed me a way of wrapping it
round his hands and then pulling sharply would break the string. I was
too
young to take it in but would love to be able to do it. If you know the
method please let me know.
TIA

This method works for me:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/932967...ur_bare_hands/

I wouldn't like to try it with man-made cord though.
--
MCC
02/09/2009 13:25:37

That looks like it - bring on the string!
Thanks both of you.

--
John the West Ham fan