CraftBanter

-   Machine Knit (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   brother machine and ribber i need help!! (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=70184)

kes26uk May 13th 06 09:38 PM

brother machine and ribber i need help!!

Hi all,

Would be grateful if anyone can help me!!

I have any just started using a knitting machine, i have brought a kh-881 brother machine... had it serviced yesterday....

I have started to do a pattern ( jumper ), on which i have to use the ribber.... thats fine..... but when i finished the back casted off. and taken the cast off comb off.... the stitches are loopy (the first row) and looks real bad.... is this the tention or have i done sumthing wrong... plz help.... new knitter getting down hearted....

thanks

rowan May 14th 06 12:22 PM

brother machine and ribber i need help!!

Hi
I dont know if this'll help because I use a knitmaster although the
principle is probably the same but it sounds like the tension, the actual
casting on tension on my machine is 0/0 so dont try to cast on with the main
rib tension : )
Secondly, remove the cast on comb as soon as you start the main body of the
garment and hang the edge weights.
You might be able to save the oneyouve done by pulling the loops tighter
from the end, like tightening shoe laces.
Hope this helps.

steel breeze May 15th 06 08:03 AM

brother machine and ribber i need help!!

Hi,

If you look in the manual for the ribber, it tells you in detail how to
cast on for 1 x 1 rib etc.

1) Cast on first row (right to left), hang ribber comb & weights.
Tension = 0 on both dials
2) Do two (sometimes 3) circular rows, using the part button on the K
carriage and the opposite part button on the ribber carriage. Tension =
1 on both dials
3) Cancel part on both carriages, set dials to ribber tension (usually
main tension - 2). Rib for required amount.

For 2 x 2 rib the process is slightly different, for example you may
need to use the bottom lever on the ribber carriage (Marked I II).

Personally I tend to leave the ribber comb on as it provides an even
weight across the work - if the cast on isn't at a tight tension, it
will look loopy when the piece is finished.

HTH + keep on trying - it *is* worth it!

Jane ( a Brother user)

kes26uk May 16th 06 05:48 PM

Hi,

Thank-you for for ur advice..... just gunna give it a go now.....

Many thanks