CraftBanter

-   Glass (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cutting glass; (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=53317)

Des July 12th 05 06:43 PM

Cutting glass;

I should have mentioned this in my previous posting, but among other things
I've got to cut glass that's textured on both sides.
I've never encountered glass that wasn't flat on one face before.

Is there a web page with advice about this please?

Des.

[email protected] July 12th 05 11:14 PM

What do you mean textured on both sides...what kind of texture?

Andy

Moonraker July 13th 05 12:00 AM

"Des" wrote in message
I should have mentioned this in my previous posting, but among other

things
I've got to cut glass that's textured on both sides.
I've never encountered glass that wasn't flat on one face before.

Is there a web page with advice about this please?

Des.

You aren't dumpster diving out behind one of the glass manufacturers are
you? Sounds like out-of-spec glass to me.

Des July 13th 05 12:14 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
What do you mean textured on both sides...what kind of texture?

Andy

The glass is deep red and has a tight whorled pattern on one side (like
coarse leather) while the other side dips in and out with a period of about
ten millimetres. To describe it is difficult, but if I tell you that the
back is like the back of a bar of nut chocolate, where the nuts make the
smooth chocolate bulge in and out yes?
I saw it in a glazier's shop and it was cheap, so grabbed it while it was
going. It's made by Pearsons but probably years ago. It is old glass.

Des.

Des July 13th 05 12:17 AM

"Moonraker" wrote in message

"Des" wrote in message
I should have mentioned this in my previous posting, but among other

things
I've got to cut glass that's textured on both sides.
I've never encountered glass that wasn't flat on one face before.

Is there a web page with advice about this please?

Des.

You aren't dumpster diving out behind one of the glass manufacturers are
you?

Sounds like you know me.

Des.

Glassman July 13th 05 05:20 AM

"Des" wrote in message
I should have mentioned this in my previous posting, but among other

things
I've got to cut glass that's textured on both sides.
I've never encountered glass that wasn't flat on one face before.

Is there a web page with advice about this please?

Des.

Glass like this isn't meant to be cut with a glass cutter. Maybe a
decorative sheet made to size, or someones kiln project. You can use a wet
saw to cut it.

--
JK Sinrod
Sinrod Stained Glass Studios

Javahut July 13th 05 01:33 PM

"Des" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
What do you mean textured on both sides...what kind of texture?

Andy

The glass is deep red and has a tight whorled pattern on one side (like
coarse leather) while the other side dips in and out with a period of

about
ten millimetres. To describe it is difficult, but if I tell you that the
back is like the back of a bar of nut chocolate, where the nuts make the
smooth chocolate bulge in and out yes?
I saw it in a glazier's shop and it was cheap, so grabbed it while it was
going. It's made by Pearsons but probably years ago. It is old glass.

Des.

This will take a little practice but I would probably try the same technique
we used on Drapery Glass before band saws. Remember?

Lay the pattern out on the side that is "dips in and out,like the back of a
bar of nut chocolate" and score the best you can, slowly, precisely, then
tap the glass on the opposite side, the run will go from one scored spot to
the next when done accurately. Sounds tougher than it is, just takes a
little practice. For lack of a better description, "score the high spots"
and tap till connected. its thin glass, should work well. Don't know if
they will stay fused, but that's a way to cut it.