CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The one book you would have in your knitting bag? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=85167)

Padishar Creel July 4th 07 06:20 AM

The one book you would have in your knitting bag?

Howdy,

I have looked over a few books that I think would be good to keep in
my knitting bag. My current favorite is The Knitting Answer Book:
Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question
You'll Ever Ask.

Which title would you want in your bag if'n you could only have one
book? I am thinking of when I travel and I can't take my library with
me GRIN

Padishar Creel

Vintage Purls July 4th 07 07:54 AM

On Jul 4, 5:20 pm, Padishar Creel wrote:
Which title would you want in your bag if'n you could only have one
book?

One! Just One! How cruel.

Probably a stitch dictionary then. Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting
Patterns lives on my bedside table most of the time.

VP

DAB July 4th 07 11:46 AM

Padishar Creel wrote:
Howdy,

I have looked over a few books that I think would be good to keep in
my knitting bag. My current favorite is The Knitting Answer Book:
Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question
You'll Ever Ask.

Which title would you want in your bag if'n you could only have one
book? I am thinking of when I travel and I can't take my library with
me GRIN

Padishar Creel

I like the Answer book too...it's small and flexable. Also the Knitters
Companion by Vicki Square.

Donna

DAB July 4th 07 11:47 AM

Vintage Purls wrote:
On Jul 4, 5:20 pm, Padishar Creel wrote:
Which title would you want in your bag if'n you could only have one
book?

One! Just One! How cruel.

Probably a stitch dictionary then. Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting
Patterns lives on my bedside table most of the time.

VP

I just ordererd both her books...should be here tomorrow.

Donna

Vintage Purls July 4th 07 12:08 PM

On Jul 4, 10:47 pm, "DAB" Buckeye wrote:
Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns

I just ordererd both her books...should be here tomorrow.

Both solid knitting reading. I like my copy of Knitting Patterns more
because it's a great source of inspiration and because my copy was
originally my great grandmother's and is annotated with occassional
notes that I find very charming. But I wouldn't let either go. I also
have her embroidery book, not that I do much in the way of embroidery
but I like her style and I'm a sucker for books. I like to have "full
sets" of authors I enjoy.

I'm still struggling with the one book idea but come to think of it I
don't do much of what I like in moderation: too many books, not enough
shelf space; too much art, not enough wall space; too much wool/fibre
(and other craft stash), not enough cupboard space; too many cats, not
enough bed space. :-)

VP

Bernadette July 4th 07 01:21 PM

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 04:08:36 -0700, Vintage Purls wrote:

[...]

Is this your way of saying your life is full VP? (lol) ;-)

Mary July 4th 07 02:47 PM

The one book you would have in your knitting bag?

The title of the one book I would take in my knitting bag when I
travel? Difficult to say. However, it would certainly NOT be related
to knitting, and would actually be some fairly trashy best-selling
paperback! The only knitting-related thing that can be read that I
ever take is a copy of the stitch pattern I am doing, written or
charted on a 3 x 5 index card, or an 8.5 x 11 photocopy if it's a
fairly large color chart, but none at all if it's not a complicated
stitch or color pattern. Why on earth would anybody need anything
else????

Mary Fisher July 4th 07 05:17 PM

The one book you would have in your knitting bag?

"Mary" wrote in message
oups.com...
The title of the one book I would take in my knitting bag when I
travel? Difficult to say. However, it would certainly NOT be related
to knitting, and would actually be some fairly trashy best-selling
paperback! The only knitting-related thing that can be read that I
ever take is a copy of the stitch pattern I am doing, written or
charted on a 3 x 5 index card, or an 8.5 x 11 photocopy if it's a
fairly large color chart, but none at all if it's not a complicated
stitch or color pattern. Why on earth would anybody need anything
else????

OH! I'm so glad I'm not alone :-)

Mary
(not that I'd be reading a best seller either)

DAB July 4th 07 06:54 PM

Vintage Purls wrote:
[...]

LOL cats don't need much space ;-) I too collect books and have just
started expanding the Knitting area of a already full bookcase.

Donna

Vintage Purls July 4th 07 10:11 PM

On Jul 5, 5:54 am, "DAB" Buckeye wrote:
LOL cats don't need much space ;-)

It's such a pity that they are so fussy about the space they will use.
There is always a queue to sleep on top of the nightstore heater or
right in front of the fire.

I too collect books and have just
started expanding the Knitting area of a already full bookcase.

DH declared that the space on the floor under the coffee table did not
count as legitimate book/pattern storage space and made me shift
everything from there. He's arranged a good sized filing cabinet so I
can start to store my vintage patterns in a more organised manner but
that task seems a bit overwhelming at present. And he doesn't help -
he gave me four books for my birthday this year.

VP