CraftBanter

-   Carving (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Newbie questions (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=127212)

shazzbat November 11th 11 12:06 AM

Newbie questions

Hi, I'm new to this group, and to carving. So new I haven't carved anything
yet :-)
But anyway, I've got this lump of wood -

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...0Junk/L001.jpg

Which is the stump of a laurel I dug out of the allotment. It seems to have
interesting colouring about it, also some thready black lines which I
believe are caused by fungi. So I thought I'd have a go at carving, I'll try
anything once, and I've got some chisels.

So I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for. Are there any particular
problems associated with laurel? Am I going to have problems with it not
being seasoned? And assuming I end up with something worth having, and not a
lump of firewood, how best to polish and preserve it?

TIA
Steve

George G November 11th 11 07:19 AM

Newbie questions

Hi Steve - Although I have a bunch of Laurel around my place, I have not
worked with same. Give it a try. I see a dog in it or maybe a dragon.
I finish all my carvings with Semi-gloss Deft. Brush on. Good luck.
George

shazzbat November 12th 11 12:09 AM

Newbie questions

"George G" wrote in message
Hi Steve - Although I have a bunch of Laurel around my place, I have not
worked with same. Give it a try. I see a dog in it or maybe a dragon.
I finish all my carvings with Semi-gloss Deft. Brush on. Good luck.
George

Thanks for that george. I think a dog or dragon may be a bit ambitious for a
first attempt, but I'll try something simple. If it turns out any good I may
come back and show you. Don't hold your breath though.

Steve