CraftBanter

-   Knots (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wire and cable lacing info wanted (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=13533)

wienie May 11th 04 03:28 PM

Wire and cable lacing info wanted

Hi Folks,

When in the Air Force, we used 12 ply waxed linen twine to bind
bundles of wire together. This was an *+art* that had it's own set
of tools (needles, loops, half-gloves, etc). I've tried in vain
to find any information other than sources for the tools and the
twine itself. I know that most of the knots were named for US
cities, i.e. "Chicago Knot". I also know that this practice is
still extensivly used at the various telephone company's CO's.

Grateful for any information.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Dave

PS: May be folklore, but we were told not to put the twine in
our mouths as it was impregnated with minute amount of cyanide
to keep the rodents from chewing it.

Brian Grimley May 12th 04 12:39 PM

wienie wrote:

I've tried in vain to find any information other than sources for the tools
and the twine itself.

If you hit the [ Next ] tap at this site:
http://www.tpub.com/neets/book4/12p.htm there are three more pages of
information.

A little more info. he
http://www.tecratools.com/pages/teca...le_lacing.html

And, a little more he
http://www.dairiki.org/hammond/cable-lacing-howto/

PS: May be folklore, but we were told not to put the twine in
our mouths as it was impregnated with minute amount of cyanide
to keep the rodents from chewing it.

One site says the twine contains a fungicide.

Hope the above helps - Brian.