CraftBanter

-   -   sporging explained (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=86089)

joanb August 9th 07 09:53 AM

sporging explained

"Sporging is effectively newsgroup spam - there is no cure apart from
a moderated group (and that frequently doesn't work as some sites
don't do moderation properly).

However depending on the news reader software you can filter out the
sporger - unless they are using autogenerated poster names in which
case there is not much you can do.

Most sporgers get bored after a couple of weeks, if not then you can
report them for abuse to their ISP - it sometimes works."

quote from my son, who is a techie by profession. I had to ask him
what it meant!

Hope this helps

Joan
Coventry UK

Patti August 9th 07 11:27 AM

sporging explained

Thanks for expanding our knowledge!!
Can you please e-mail me? Thanks.
..
In message . com, joanb
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Val August 9th 07 08:55 PM

sporging explained

"joanb" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Sporging is effectively newsgroup spam - there is no cure apart from
a moderated group (and that frequently doesn't work as some sites
don't do moderation properly).

However depending on the news reader software you can filter out the
sporger - unless they are using autogenerated poster names in which
case there is not much you can do.

Most sporgers get bored after a couple of weeks, if not then you can
report them for abuse to their ISP - it sometimes works."

quote from my son, who is a techie by profession. I had to ask him
what it meant!

Sporgery is the disruptive act of posting a flood of articles to a Usenet
newsgroup, with the article headers often falsified so that they appear to
have been posted by others.
"Sporge" is a made up word used to describe a forgery-flood intended to
disrupt a newsgroup. It's origins are from spam and forge... "

Just wear your tin foil helmet and ignore it.
Additional information on foil helmets can be found he
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

Val

joanb August 10th 07 10:09 AM

sporging explained

On Aug 9, 8:55 pm, "Val" wrote:
"joanb" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Thanks a lot, Val! I was wondering how the term originated, and now
you have explained it to us.
Joan
Coventry UK