CraftBanter

-   Jewelry (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Indian ring sizer mystery. (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=83998)

[email protected] May 26th 07 04:43 AM

Indian ring sizer mystery.

Hi, I recently bought a set of ring sizers made in India. Most of the
sizers I've seen will say 7 for 7 and 7- for 7 1/2, but this set
mysteriously has three rings per size, marked 7, 7-, and 7= (what the
heck is that, and does that make 7- something besides 7 1/2?). If
anyone can solve this riddle for me, please e (I'm not a regular
here). TIA, Kurt

Frosty May 26th 07 06:23 PM

Indian ring sizer mystery.

On Sat, 26 May 2007 03:43:31 GMT in rec.crafts.jewelry
, intended to write something intelligible, but
instead wrote :

Hi, I recently bought a set of ring sizers made in India. Most of the
sizers I've seen will say 7 for 7 and 7- for 7 1/2, but this set
mysteriously has three rings per size, marked 7, 7-, and 7= (what the
heck is that, and does that make 7- something besides 7 1/2?). If
anyone can solve this riddle for me, please e (I'm not a regular
here). TIA, Kurt

I have no clue.
How 'bout 7, 7¼, 7½
(I sure hope that renders)

Sarit Wolfus May 28th 07 06:42 PM

Indian ring sizer mystery.

On May 26, 6:43 am, wrote:
Hi, I recently bought a set of ring sizers made in India. Most of the
sizers I've seen will say 7 for 7 and 7- for 7 1/2, but this set
mysteriously has three rings per size, marked 7, 7-, and 7= (what the
heck is that, and does that make 7- something besides 7 1/2?). If
anyone can solve this riddle for me, please e (I'm not a regular
here). TIA, Kurt

I'd take a caliper, measure the diameter of the marks and compare it
with ring size tables. In other words, calibrate the sizer.
Sarit.
http://sarit-jewelry.com

Al Balmer May 28th 07 09:33 PM

Indian ring sizer mystery.

On Sat, 26 May 2007 03:43:31 GMT, wrote:

Hi, I recently bought a set of ring sizers made in India. Most of the
sizers I've seen will say 7 for 7 and 7- for 7 1/2, but this set
mysteriously has three rings per size, marked 7, 7-, and 7= (what the
heck is that, and does that make 7- something besides 7 1/2?). If
anyone can solve this riddle for me, please e (I'm not a regular
here). TIA, Kurt

Given the cost of ring sizers, I'd get a new set and hang those on the
wall as a curiosity g.

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Ravi K. June 1st 07 04:47 AM

Indian ring sizer mystery.

Hey Kurt,

7 is 7
7- is 7 1/2 and
7= is 7 3/4
The other numbers 54, 55, 56 are European sizes, the numbers 17.2, 17.5,
17.8 are MM.And finally, the numbers 14, 15, 16 are Indian measurements.

Hope this helps.
Thank you,
Ravi K.
Graduate Gemologist, GIA