CraftBanter

-   Sewing (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Industrial Serger - Stuck Crankshaft / Handwheel / Differential (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=138063)

[email protected] August 14th 12 05:46 PM

Industrial Serger - Stuck Crankshaft / Handwheel / Differential

Hi All.

My wife recently purchased a Wilcox & Gibbs Industrial 5-Thread Serger (515-4-52). The handwheel and crankshaft mechanism are completely stuck and only rotate about 1/8" in either direction. I got it to work briefly when we first set it up by strongly turning the handwheel until it rotated, I put the belt on the handwheel and it worked fine for the evening. The next morning it had frozen completely and will not turn regardless of how much pressure I apply.

Through my investigations, I found that the Differential Feed Shaft and Lever are stuck as well.

I opened the machine to the best of my ability apart from removing the oil pan and opening the main body - I put in new oil, and oiled all sections of the crankshaft, all ball bearings and bushings that are accessible.

I cleaned the needle/looper section extensively looking for anything blocking these parts and nothing is abnormal.

And after spending about 6 hours trying to get it to work, I put the machine back together and turned away IN FAILURE!!!

SOOO - if there is anyone out there that can offer any advice - or point me in the right direction - I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you in advance!

Ron Anderson August 14th 12 11:55 PM

wrote in message
[...]

See Alt. Sewing far more active group