CraftBanter

-   -   The Flutterby Quilt (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=139755)

[email protected] November 24th 15 04:52 PM

The Flutterby Quilt

I have revised a pattern that uses 2 1/2 inch jelly rolls. Instead I wanted to use a (42 piece) 10" layer cake I just brought. There was only 2 or 3 prints that I liked, the rest was ugly as far as I was concerned. Will never buy another layer cake. I recommend cutting your own 10 inch squares. The jelly rolls you can kind of see what you are getting before buying but only makes a 6 1/2 square.
So using my layer cake squares, I cut my center 3 inch sq, then added 2 (3" by 3 1/2" long)sewn on each side of the 3 inch sq. On each side of this I cut 2 ( 3 1/2 wide by 10")to go on either side of the center strip and then trimmed the ends off. Now I snowball the top left and bottom right with 3 1/2 white squares with line drawn through the centers, sewn and cut off the corner leaving 1/4 inch seam. This makes an almost 9 inch square. Put these rows together so that you end up with the snowballed ends making a square too.
Hope I haven't confused you too much. I will add an inner 2 1/2 inch border and 5 1/2 inch outer border. You may want to try this quilt.
Sandy$

Nann[_2_] November 25th 15 01:19 PM

The Flutterby Quilt

If the pattern originally called for 2.5" strips, how did it handle the center square, which in your version starts at 3"?

(I don't buy precuts, but I do adapt patterns.)

Nann

[email protected] November 25th 15 03:43 PM

The Flutterby Quilt

Hello Nann,
How I got the 3 inch center is because I inlarged the pattern, yet would fit within my layer cakes which are 10 inches sq. I did not use 2 1/2 inch squares like the pattern called for. Hope you can understand what I did.
Sandy$

Nann[_2_] November 26th 15 02:13 PM

The Flutterby Quilt

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 9:43:47 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hello Nann,
How I got the 3 inch center is because I inlarged the pattern, yet would fit within my layer cakes which are 10 inches sq. I did not use 2 1/2 inch squares like the pattern called for. Hope you can understand what I did.
Sandy$

Makes sense!

Nann