CraftBanter

-   Carving (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New biggining! (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=10825)

George G August 25th 04 01:07 AM

New biggining!

Hi Gang - Glad to see some newcomers joining in. This discussion group
has been going downhill for a long time. Maybe with new blood we can
recover. Responses have been slow coming. I must admit I'm one of the
biggest offenders. I see one of the responses came from Escondido. I
came up from San Diego 30 years ago to Oregon. Been doing some
decorative knives. Here is my latest "creation". Click below if
interested. Thank you-------George

http://community.webtv.net/orecartent/doc0

David Bennett August 25th 04 05:58 AM

Hi!
Thanks for the nice welcome. I love your knife. Very clever. The silver wrap
is a nice touch. Especially when it gains a patina. Do you use round wire to
wrap it?
Bridget

Richard L. August 25th 04 04:04 PM

Hi George, welcome to the group. ;)) I am like you , lurk allot.
Where in Oregon are you? Nice knife.
--

Richard,

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"
"

mycroftt August 27th 04 04:05 PM

(George G) wrote in message ...
Hi Gang - Glad to see some newcomers joining in. This discussion group
has been going downhill for a long time. Maybe with new blood we can
recover.

I guess I'm one of the newcomers. I drop by a number of forums just
to read what everyone else has to say and to occasionally leave
comments of my own.

I think I've mentioned that I am more of a "whittler" than a "carver"
and I use the classical definitions: Shaping wood using knives is
"whittling". Shaping wood using chisels and gouges is "carving".
Shaping wood while wearing a beret is "sculpture". I whittle mostly
whimsies and hobo art like ball-in-a-cage, chains, various types of
swivel joints, etc. I've also just started doing some wood spirits.
I do this strictly as a hobby and I'm not on a mission to collect a
lot of pieces so I really take my time and try to do a good job. I'm
really an amateur in all senses of the word but I find whittling
relaxing and sort of rewarding when I produce a really nice piece. I
did a ball-in-a-ball, which is a ball in a round cage that came out
great - real tight fit with perfect straight edges on the cage -
that's my "bragging piece".

Like most folks at my level of skill and experience I use almost
exclusively basswood. I do just about all my work in hand using a
whittlers kife set with replaceable blades, but I think my next
purchase will be an artists sketch box (in wood of course) to hold my
knives so I can buy a few fixed blades and maybe a few gouges like a
veiner to do the hair on the wood spirits. Who knows - maybe I'll
just buy a beret too.

Best regards,

Mike

Fuddzy August 28th 04 05:31 AM

Hi Mycroft

good goal(s)............... and good luck

and get a spell checker

Fud

"mycroftt" wrote in message
om...

mycroftt August 30th 04 02:30 PM

"Fuddzy" wrote in message ...
Hi Mycroft

good goal(s)............... and good luck

and get a spell checker

Fud

Are you saying I misplet something? :^)