CraftBanter

-   Glass (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   fusing glass in pottery kiln (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=68245)

TravNo9 April 13th 06 11:12 PM

fusing glass in pottery kiln

Can I fuse different pieces placed on stacked shelves in the kiln?
Will the temp. be too different shelf to shelf to predict what the result
will be?

[email protected] April 13th 06 11:49 PM

fusing glass in pottery kiln

If you have a ceramics kiln it might work being that you'll have to
fire much slower. I'd be hesitant to try it with a top firing kiln. The
top shelf project will fuse much faster than the bottom.

Andy

Moonraker April 14th 06 01:45 AM

"TravNo9" wrote in message
Can I fuse different pieces placed on stacked shelves in the kiln?
Will the temp. be too different shelf to shelf to predict what the result
will be?

Kim? This sounds like it is right down your alley. Help him out so he'll
enjoy the Sinrod experience in fine fusing. ;)

nJb April 14th 06 02:59 AM

TravNo9 wrote:

Can I fuse different pieces placed on stacked shelves in the kiln?
Will the temp. be too different shelf to shelf to predict what the result
will be?

If you're fusing small pieces like jewelry you can pull it off. Go slow
and don't get greedy.

Larger pieces are a maybe. Let us know how it works out.

--
Jack

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://www.glassartguild.com/gallery/jack_bowman

[email protected] April 14th 06 03:03 AM

fusing glass in pottery kiln

Yup.
Many glass artisans do it routinely. Glass kilns with top elements are
unsuitable for stack firing because the top elements cause the highest
layer to be warmer than all other layers. Ceramic kilns with side
elements only will distribute the heat evenly and permit multi-level
firings. Here's a glass artist that uses a tall ceramic kiln to fire
as many as 6 layers at a time.
http://www.thegardengallery.ca/

Some glass kilns, with both top and side elements, permit the top
elements to be turned down or turned off to permit stack firing.

Dennis Brady

DeBrady Glassworks
http://www.debrady.com
Victorian Art Glass
http://www.victorianartglass.biz
Glass Campus
http://www.Glass Campus

Javahut April 14th 06 03:57 AM

fusing glass in pottery kiln

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yup.
Many glass artisans do it routinely. Glass kilns with top elements are
unsuitable for stack firing because the top elements cause the highest
layer to be warmer than all other layers. Ceramic kilns with side
elements only will distribute the heat evenly and permit multi-level
firings. Here's a glass artist that uses a tall ceramic kiln to fire
as many as 6 layers at a time.
http://www.thegardengallery.ca/

Some glass kilns, with both top and side elements, permit the top
elements to be turned down or turned off to permit stack firing.

Keep in mind, when doing stack firings, there may be HUGE difference in
temperatures both from top to bottom of the kiln, but also from edge to
center.
Makes "some" difference as to element placement, but the biggie is that
heat rises.
Once you learn how YOUR kiln works, then you will be able to answer your own
question better than anyone here can.

Sometimes it is not a matter if something can be done, but is it efficient
and productive to turning out the creation that you want. When I want that
special bowl or sink to come out just right, I don't want to have to worry
about how the drawer pulls are doing on the next shelf down.